22 • fifty-fifty chance

Fun Fact That Nobody Asked For: I actually wrote the whole "that-night" part before I even started the rest of the story.

——————————

Bellamy sat quietly for a moment, presumably taking in everything I had just said

Bellamy sat quietly for a moment, presumably taking in everything I had just said. His eyes avoided mine while he thought.

I was worried that he was going to walk away without even responding, but then he finally spoke. "So, the deal Shumway made you - the certain person that wouldn't make it to the ground - that was your dad," he stated more than asked.

Nodding, I kept my eyes on him. I wanted him to believe me, but I was also concerned he wouldn't. The Guard had only seen when I lunged for my dad, and that was convincing enough to have them believe that I murdered my mum intentionally.

"But, that night, you said you were going to kill him."

I shrugged a little. "I decided that leaving him to rot was better than anything I could come up with."

"You said yes, but then changed your mind. Why?"

Pursing my lips, I tried to not let my emotions get the best of me. "I realised when Dax was attacking you, that I couldn't let you die. And when I even thought of trying, I knew I couldn't kill you, Bellamy."

His eyes narrowed slightly as he focused on me, "Why?"

"I just. . ." What did he want me to say? What was he expecting? Telling the truth would mean admitting he means something to me, and I didn't want to destroy our friendship any more than I already had. "Couldn't."

He stared at me silently for a moment before he nodded. "Okay."

"Okay?" I repeated. "That's seriously all you have to say?"

He shrugged, "I don't know what you want from me, Sutton, and I don't think I can deal with this right now."

Neither did I.
Standing up, I patted down my pants and exhaled slowly. "I don't get why you asked then," I mumbled, shaking my head.
I was so stupid to think he would take me seriously.
When I began to walk he reached for me, but I was quick to move out of arm's reach. "Don't touch me."

Running a hand through his hair roughly, he shouted to me, "Sutton, wait."
But I didn't look back.

✦✦✦✦✦

"There! It's them! Open the gate," Harper yelled from her post.

Everyone gathered around as the gate opened and in walked Jasper and Monty, smiles spread across their faces. They had actually pulled it off.

The crowd burst into applause as they walked in, yelling and clapping. When Jasper passed me, we smiled at each other. I was glad to see he had his confidence back. After Octavia had blamed him for what happened at the bridge, I wasn't sure how long it would take for him to bounce back.