18 • unity day

We're going places.

If you're still enjoying, be sure to drop a like and a comment. It only takes a second, and it really means a lot!

——————————

"My friends," The Chancellor's voice crackled from the monitor

"My friends," The Chancellor's voice crackled from the monitor. "This is a historic Unity Day. Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the Ark but this is the last time we do so aboard her. Next year. . . on the ground."

The crowd upon the Ark cheered on their Chancellor, smiles all around.

Today was Unity Day, a holiday back at home which celebrated the day all the space stations from different continents came together to form the Ark.

It was only after they had blown the thirteenth station out of the sky, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story?

"Right. After we did all the work," Miller pointed out. "Someone shut him up."

Raven laughed, telling him to shut up instead. "No one's forcing you to watch."

It had been a few days since our trip out to the bunker. I was back to my old self for the most part; I wasn't hearing their voices anymore, but I was still having the nightmares.

The night it had happened, I hadn't slept a wink.

Instead, I lay there thinking over everything that had happened. I knew things were going to be different on the ground, but I never would have expected this. We hadn't even been down here that long and things were already bad half of the time.

But that's not what worried me at the moment. I was concerned that when the people came down from the Ark, Shumway would be with them, and he would talk to Bellamy.

He still didn't know that I was the other person contracted with killing him. And for now, he didn't need to know. I was going to tell him, just not while things were so up in the air.

Bellamy checked in on me each day to see how I was doing, which only made me feel more guilty. Why did he have to make this harder?

I wanted to tell him, but I was afraid of how he'd react. What he might do. Even though I didn't actually go through with trying to kill him, I did consider it, and that was enough.

Jaha continued over the monitor. "For ninety-seven years, we have eked out an existence hoping that someday our descendants would return to Earth."

Back on the Ark we had to hear a speech similar to this every year on Unity Day. I grew bored of it over the years and this time, I could actually leave without consequence. No one took much notice as I walked away, spotting Octavia near the dropship.

"Hey, any word from Lincoln?" I asked her as I stood beside her.

She shook her head, looking disappointed. She really cared for him. Anyone who looked at her would be able to tell.