21 • the truth

My poor, sick, baby

Let me know what you're thinking!

——————————

It had been just over an hour when a low boom sounded in the distance

It had been just over an hour when a low boom sounded in the distance. We all stood up to see what it was. Looking up over the treetops, we could all see a black mushroom cloud growing towards the sky.

They had done it. They had actually blown up the bridge.

Or blown themselves up, but I prefer to believe it was the former.

When I felt someone brush up against me, I was surprised when I saw Bellamy standing beside me. "We need to talk," he told me.

I was glad to see he was back on his feet and looking better. I was honestly worried when he was coughing up blood.

At first, I wanted to say no, but then I shut my mouth and nodded, following him away from the crowd. This might be my only chance to convince him I wasn't really going to kill him.

Heading towards the gate, Bellamy grabbed a gun as we walked out quietly. He stopped only a few metres from the outside gate and gestured for me to take a seat on a log. Bellamy sat down on the opposite end, staying away from me.

"How are you feeling?" I asked quietly.

Bellamy lifted the gun slightly, the barrel not far from being aimed at me. "Better."
Quite the wordsmith.

I decided just to cut to the chase. "Are you going to banish me?"

He lowered the gun onto his lap, glancing over at me, "I need to know what Shumway offered you to kill me."

Staring at the ground, I spoke to him. "At the time it seemed worth it. But. . ." Dragging my eyes up from the ground to meet his, my voice was quiet, "I couldn't do it."

Shaking his head, he looked at the gun, "You expect me to believe that?"

"Well, you're still alive, aren't you?" I said quickly. "I had multiple chances to kill you, and I didn't, Bellamy."

Bellamy stood up in frustration. My body moved before my brain could, jumping up and grabbing his hand.

"Why can't you just give me a straight answer?" He looked down at our hands, reaching his other to grab my wrist to try and make me let go, but I didn't.
"I'm not going to banish you, Sutton, okay?"

"Look, I know you hate me, but you have to understand that this is hard for me," I said, pulling him back towards me.

His eyes narrowed as he searched my face, his voice lowering, "I don't hate you. I just want you to tell me what was worth killing me over. The truth."

When I didn't say anything, he pulled his hand away and began to walk.
"You want me to tell you the truth?" I asked as I ran a hand through my hair. "The last time I told the truth, no one believed me."