Chapter 13: Madness

Hayden (coming through the portal)

I jumped through the portal thinking Austin was behind me but I was wrong. The portal shut but there was no sign of Austin. I stood up brushing the dirt from my clothes and looked at my surroundings.  I did a slow turn seeing nothing but trees. God were am I?

"Hayden?! Omg Hayden!"

I was immediately tackled from behind. I freaked out and threw whoever was on my back off. I saw a mop of blonde hair. I ran over seeing my sister. I didn't really have any words. I went over helping her to her feet then pulled her in a hug. I just cried. She tightened her hold on me as my body shook with each sob. I thought I was going to die. I know it is selfish that I am not too worried about Austin but I thought I was going to die and my sister would be on her own. My sister had my parents and my friends to look after her but I am her older brother and it is my responsibility. I pushed her back checking that she was ok. She smiled then put her hand on a cut that was right under my eye that I didn't realize I had. I flinched away and grabbed her hands slowly putting them down.

"Hayden.... Where is Austin?"

I looked around me then reality hit me. Another tear escaped my eye and down my face. I looked down ashamed.

"He didn't make it through. He is still with them.... Oh my God, Hava, they are going to kill him or use him or something. The last thing I heard was that they were going to call them. They were going to turn us over to Taylor."

Hava's eyes got real big and them looked at me then at the house. She grabbed my hands and dragged me to the house. I walked in to a chattering group of teens that went completely silent after they saw me. Adam got up and approached me like I was a wild animal.

"Hayden.... Why don't you go up to your room and change, maybe get washed up a bit?"

I nodded not really sure what to say. I heard Hava turn to the others saying that Austin didn't make it back that he was still stuck. I know that she didn't want me to hear since she said it after I was halfway up the steps. I stoped and looked down at the others.

"He didn't make it back because he... closed the portal after I was through didn't even think that he wouldn't.... That he wouldn't follow. He told me he was right behind me. Then he wasn't."

I continued my way up after I said my peace. I know the others didn't think it was my fault but I sure as hell thought it was.

My room was the same as I left it. The same as before all of this. I was happily hidden away not having to worry about my team mate's safety, my sister's and myself's safety. But if I could go back and change it, I wouldn't because I am doing better for our kind and for humanity. I know that the protector who found me I owe to save him.

I grabbed my clothes that I picked while thinking and headed to take a shower. The water was cold that stung my skin as the water ran down. Water usually didn't bother me but I just wanted it to go away. The anger absorbed through me and the water all of sudden just stopped. I didn't turn it off but it was like the water stopped moving stopped flowing. I could feel all of it but it wasn't hitting me. I blinked and the water burst through the pipes and hitting me hard bringing me to my knees. I groaned and actually turned off the water. I stepped out walking to my room towel around my waist. I grabbed a t-shirt and jeans throwing them on really quick. I grabbed my sword and belt. I strapped them to my waist and made my way down.

"Adam we need to get a move on, my parents will be home soon."

"Hayden we been here for a couple days now, they already now they are going to want to see you."

I was shocked by his words. I was gone for that long? Heck that means Austin...

"Ok, then when will they be home?"