4 | Why

HAPPY NEW YEAR! WELCOME TO THE FIRST UPDATE OF 2019. THE FIRST OF, HOPEFULLY, MANY MORE TO COME. :)

~~~

"I don't mind waiting if you need some time to love again. I don't want nothing. Just a letter, something for the pain. I don't mind mischief. We're just dancing in the dark again...We'll never grow old when I'm with you"

~ I Don't Mind (Icarus Falls)

OLIVIA

"Olivia?" A deep voice called, reaching far into my sleep and dragging me awake. "You should wake up."

I grudgingly opened my eyes to catch Hunter standing in the doorway smiling down at me. "It's still dark outside. Why are you up?"

His grin grew. "I'm always up at this time. I just came from a run."

My eyes would've widened if I was awake enough. "Okay, so you are crazy. Why am I awake then?"

"You're coming to help me work, remember?"

"Oh, yeah," I mumbled, sinking deeper under the warmth of the covers. "Can I take a shower first?"

"Yeah, go ahead. I'll be in the kitchen," he said. He gave me one last lingering look before turning to walk out and closing the door behind him.

I watched the place where he'd stood for a solid minute, trying to get a grasp on the whirlwind that had suddenly become my life.

Then I got up and took a shower, all the while trying not to be a creep and snoop around the place for anything that would reveal something personal about Hunter. In the end, I couldn't find anything and so I decided to let it go for now and got out of the shower. I wrapped the towel around my body and walked out into the bedroom, suddenly realizing that I'd forgotten to ask Hunter to throw my wet clothes in the washer. I was about to put the shirt he'd given me back on when my eyes caught my own clothes neatly folded and stacked on the end of the bed.

My heart thumped in my chest at his thoughtfulness. I didn't even have to ask.

Before I could look too much into something that was probably a nothing-burger, I quickly put my clothes on and folded the shirt he'd given me.

I made the bed and tidied up as much as I could. I took one last look around the room and made my way down the hall and down the stairs.

Immediately, I was hit with the strong scent of coffee. My feet quickened at the smell. I froze near the entrance of the kitchen when I caught a clear view of Hunter.

My breaths abandoned me, my lungs suddenly having a hard time pulling in air. If it wasn't for the scene before me, I would've thought I was having a heart attack by the way my body was panicking.

He was plating eggs on two different plates. He took a sip of coffee before turning to place the plates on the island. That was when he caught my wandering eyes.

He watched me watch him for a moment before his lips stretched into a handsome smile. "Hey."

I couldn't stop the grin that took over my practiced stoic expression. "Hey."

"I made some eggs and k cups are in the drawer below the Keurig if you'd like something hot. Cream, water and orange juice are in the fridge. Sugar's right next to the Keurig," he said, coming around to take a seat at the island. "I hope you like scrambled eggs."

I went over to the Keurig and started rummaging through the drawer for a dark roast. "What if I was allergic to eggs?" I retorted, turning to look at him after preparing the Keurig and turning it on.