13 | Needed

(please don't forget to comment and vote. thank you so much for all the support)

~~~

"Treasure chest full of your diamonds, I don't mind staying down here. Thought by now I would be dyin', but your love gives me all my air. I'm in too deep. Can't touch the bottom with my feet. Don't know what you did to me, I can't breathe but I'm living"

~ In Too Deep (8 Letters)

OLIVIA

Hunter fell asleep as soon as he laid his head down on the couch. I watched him quietly for a moment, my heart still heavy. I watched as the despair and pain slowly dissipated from his face. They were replaced by peace and I couldn't help the sad smile that took my lips at how innocent he looked. I felt like I needed to keep an eye on him just in case he woke up or if his nightmare from months ago repeated. 

He never talked to me about that and I was too afraid of what he might say to ever bring it up. Now that this has happened, though, I couldn't help but feel the need to ask. He didn't explain to me why Delilah was the center of his nightmare. He never even mentioned Peter that morning in his sleep. He only spoke about Delilah and how much it hurt when she left. 

Dread engulfed me. Is that what he meant when he spoke about how he didn't deserve it? He was talking about Peter that morning. 

"You should've turned to me."

What did he mean by that? Why should she have turned to him?

Fear had a firm grip on my heart, making breathing more difficult. There was something else I didn't know. I didn't want to prod, especially when it was clear he had a hard enough time talking about Peter. Giving more details about his relationship with Delilah would just hurt him more and that was the last thing I wanted to do. 

I let out a long sigh and brushed my fingers through my hair. I grabbed my phone and sent an email to my office, letting them know I wouldn't be coming in for the next week. I decided I'll work from my laptop until I can make sure Hunter was okay. He seemed really shaken up and I couldn't make myself leave if I tried.

I loved my job. I really did. I worked really hard to get my CPA certification and to eventually land myself a spot in the financial department of a Fortune 500 company. I never took time off from the day I started there until now. I worked for every single promotion I received. I stayed overtime while others left to be with their families, friends and significant others. I never let anyone, not even my mom, distract me. 

Looking at Hunter now, though, I knew I wouldn't be able to leave him tomorrow. Thinking about it lodged a lump in my throat and tears welled in my eyes as a result. 

I shook my head. I need to be here for him. 

I wiped my tears and sent the email. 

Then I watched him for a little while longer. He breathed in and out slowly. He only moved once. He laid on his back with his right arm angled up around the top of his head while his other arm laid against his abdomen. 

My racing heart calmed down. He seemed peaceful and deep in sleep. 

I took in a large breath and let it out slowly as I ran my fingers through my hair once more. I pulled my locks into a ponytail and stood, deciding to make myself useful rather than just creepily stare at him. If I was going to try and stay awake as long as possible to keep an eye on him, I might as well do something productive with the time.