21 | Eventually

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!!!

~~~

(please don't forget to comment and vote. thank you so much for all the support)

~~~

"I know that you afraid, babe, but you don't need to be saved, babe. You just need someone that understands and I think I need the same, babe"

~ One Life (Journals)

HUNTER

A week after I sent out the email to Liv's matches, I got one response. His name was Noah and he was 54 years old. I was at work when I saw his email. As soon as I could steal a moment to read it, I left for my office and shut the door.

Hunter,

I have thought long and hard about your question. Sadly, I don't remember getting any girlfriend or fling pregnant. I do have three children with my wife.

I do find it strange that my DNA matched your girlfriend's. Perhaps she's related to someone in my family and that why we matched.

In any case, I am more than willing to take a paternity test if it will give her and you a peace of mind.

I wish I could have included better news, but I wish her luck in finding her father. I can only imagine her pain.

Sincerely,

Noah

My heart dropped. It sucked that we were back to square one. I really thought one of these men was Liv's father, or at least related closely to her.

But he was offering a paternity test. Maybe something happened when he was younger and he wasn't remembering it. 

I was grasping at straws, but it was better than grasping at nothing. 

So, I emailed him back. 

Hi Noah,

Thank you for getting back to me. 

I'm sure she would appreciate giving a paternity test a shot. I will let you know if she would prefer not to and if she does, we can talk about our next steps. 

Best,

Hunter

I hit send and laid back in my chair, trying to process what was happening. Before I could get too comfortable, though, there was a knock on the door and I was needed upfront. 

Later that evening, after I closed the shop, I sat in my car and dialed Liv's number.

She picked up on the second ring.

"Hey, babe," she said.

I couldn't help but smile. "Hey, fiesty."

"What's up?"

"Just closed the shop. I wanted to see you."

"I was just thinking the same thing. How about you come over to my place? We always end up at yours."

"You know I'd love to; I'll be there in a few, okay?"

"Okay, drive safe."

I chuckled. "I'll try."

The drive wasn't too bad. We'd worked overtime a bit today to catch up on certain orders for baby showers and weddings so I'd missed the worst of rush hour.