9 | Fall

"And nothing's gonna stop me but divine intervention"

~ I'm Yours (We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.)

OLIVIA

Dropping my pen on the table, I yawned and stretched, trying to get rid of the ache in my back from sitting for too long. I've been taking my work home with me to catch up after I called off work to go bowling with Hunter a week ago. 

Speaking of Hunter, I haven't heard from him all day. I haven't even seen him since we parted that afternoon after he beat me a the bowling alley. The defeat didn't bother me as much as I had expected it to, but soon enough, the real world was there waiting for our return. Work was too hectic for either of us to make plans for the rest or the week. 

Even after all that time though, his nightmare still bothered me, creeping up on me randomly at work, when I was eating breakfast, or even in my dreams. Whenever we talked, he kept away from serious conversations. He never even brought up his plans of proving me wrong anymore and I feared it's because he thought that conversation would somehow lead to a conversation about his past. 

I let out a frustrated sigh and ran my fingers through my hair. I looked at my phone as I took a sip of my water. It was only six in the evening. 

I took another sip of water before getting up and walking to my kitchen. I cleaned out my kettle and poured in water enough to serve two before placing it on the stove. I unlocked my phone and called an all too familiar number as I turned up the heat of the stove.

He answered on the third ring. "Maleficent, darling, how are you?"

I snorted. "I'm sorry, is that your attempt at a British accent?"

"I don't know what you're trying to insinuate here, but that was a perfect British accent." 

"Right and the sky is orange."

"Isn't the sky orange at sunset, though?"

"I hate you, you know that right?"

He chuckled. "It's all good. I'm cool with being the bigger person."

I rolled my eyes and I'm sure he knew because he let out another laugh. "So, I was thinking..."

"Yeah?"

"Would you like to come over for dinner? I'm thinking about making chicken alfredo."

"I'd love to, Liv," he started.

My thumping heartfelt constricted all of a sudden. "Why do I hear a but coming?"

He breathed out a soft laugh. "But my sister is supposed to visit me today. I can't cancel on her."

"Oh," I whispered, trying to hide my disappointment. And then I said, "why don't you bring her over, too?" Trust me, I shocked even myself with that one.

He was quiet for a long moment, surely taken back by my odd proposition. "Are you sure? You'll have to make twice the food to accommodate her."

"Hey, no judgments here. I'm down for the challenge," I replied. 

Chuckling, he said, "Alright. I'm supposed to meet her in a bit. I guess I'll see you in an hour or so."

I nodded. "Okay, cool. Drive safe."

There seemed to be a bit of shock in his voice when he responded with, "Will do. I'll see you soon."

The nerves hit me as soon as I hung up and I shook my hands to try and lessen the feeling. When I couldn't handle my heightening nerves anymore, I picked my phone back up and called Amber, another close friend of mine.