25 | Naomi

(please don't forget to comment and vote. thank you so much for all the support)

~~~

"So I ain't looking over fences trying to find a better view. My search for all that ended when I first laid eyes on you. And the grass is always greener 'cause the sun shines when you smile. And when I'm holding you the world makes sense, on my side of the fence"

~ My Side of the Fence (Dan + Shay)

OLIVIA

A couple of weeks later, Hunter and I were lounging around his house, trying to get some work we'd brought home done. I'd buried myself in extra work the past couple of weeks and it was taking a toll on my body. I was constantly tired. I had headaches that seemed to be out for vengeance. And my back hurt even when I was laying down.

The one thing I didn't allow myself to do was shut Hunter out. He deserved better and so I talked to him about how I was struggling with how to deal with my mom and he always made me feel better. He usually just held me, but even that was more than enough to calm me down and make me feel like everything was going to be okay.

I'd confided in Aria last week over dinner about my mom and ...dad, I guess. As much of my rock as Hunter is, I needed my best friend. She was shocked at first, almost angrier at my mom than I was, it seemed. But she didn't badmouth her or Noah. She talked me through my feelings at the time, gauging where I was at. I'd been lost as to where I was headed then. To be honest, I still am. We'd parted ways with my chest feeling a bit lighter: she didn't judge me or try to push a decision on me and it was what I needed from her.

Today, though, was an especially hard day. It was the day my mom and I were supposed to have our monthly mother daughter date. She enforced it especially after I left for college and our fun outings almost ceased to exist. As embarrassing she can be in public sometimes, usually intentionally, I loved our dates. She was my number one best friend and even though I try to tough it out, she was the one person I needed in my life.

I groaned, wiping my eyes before the tears I felt coming on could fall.

Hunter was in his garage, working on a rocking chair for Nina's nursery. He'd made the crib and almost every other furniture in that nursery. He was tired a lot, considering the double work he was putting in. But it made him happy and in the end, that was all that mattered to me.

Sitting here all alone, surrounded by mountains of paperwork, I was starting to think more and more about my mom and the hurt that was sneaking back in constricted my heart. Before much of the pain could flood back in, I shoved it all away and got up from my seat.

I grabbed two waters and went to find my serenity.

I found him working intently as he cut the necessary pieces of wood. He was concentrating hard, biting his lip that way he does when he's focused. His arms bulged as he worked to manipulate the wood the right way. My mouth watered as he finished cutting the piece he was holding before walking over to where a large piece of wood laid. He picked it up, letting out a groan that wiped the smile off my face. He then turned around, about to walk back to his earlier spot when he caught me standing there, panting and staring at him ardently.

He smiled. "Hey, fiesty."

"Hey," I practically croaked.

He raised his eyebrow, placing the wood down and turning back to face me. "You alright?"