26 | Breathe

"I don't know if this is real life. What happens if I open my eyes? Will I ever get my head right?"

~ Dazed and Confused (Ready)

OLIVIA

After Nina's doctors came in to check up on her and said everything was going well, we all had lunch. Dan had gotten enough food to feed a village, but it seems we were all starving because when we finished, there wasn't much leftover.

Nina actually hadn't told anyone else that she'd had her baby, giving Dan's heart a break. The look of relief that washed over him when she reminded him that they'd agreed to wait until tomorrow to tell everyone else was almost comical.

As we were finishing up, Hunter's parents let him know that they'd arrived and were heading to the baggage claim. He asked me to come along, but I felt it was inappropriate to be meeting his parents that way. He didn't push, though. He gave me a sweet kiss and left, promising Nina to pick up a bouquet of roses for their mom and a bar of dark chocolate for their dad.

The thought of finally meeting his parents fueled my anxiety through the roof. So, to calm down and take my thoughts off of it, I held Victoria as much as possible. I think Nina sensed what I was doing because she kept handing her to me after feeding her. I silently thanked her.

I was sitting in one of the armchairs, cooing Victoria while Dan was sitting in the other armchair by Nina's bed. They were both fast asleep when someone softly knocked on the door.

My heart settled when Hunter walked through, wearing that handsome smile. "Hey, beautiful."

I couldn't help but smile, too. "Hey," I whispered, careful not to wake up the cutie in my arms.

His eyes fell to her and warmed at the sight. Before he could stay there for long, a slender woman who had his eyes followed through the door behind him. She had blonde/grey hair, contrasting the brunette/grey-haired tall man that followed her into the room.

My heart thumped in my ear as her eyes caught mine. She smiled instantly. "You must be Olivia."

I nodded, "I am, it's really nice to meet you both. I'd get up, but I don't want to wake her," I said, looking down at Victoria, who fussed a bit in her sleep at the noise we were making.

She walked closer to me, her vanilla scent softly following her. "Oh, yes, of course," she held her hand on her chest, her eyes filling with tears as she stared down at her granddaughter. Mr. Davis came up behind her, gazing down at Victoria with such love in his eyes.

"She is gorgeous," he said, his voice as deep as Hunter's.

I gave him a nod, caressing her cheek with my thumb, "she really is."

"Have they been asleep for long?" Hunter stepped in to ask.

"Not really, only about 30 minutes. They were really tired and I didn't have the heart to wake them up," I answered, "but Nina will probably have to wake up in a little bit, since she has to feed."

Mr. Davis chuckled, shaking his head. "Oh, the beauty of being a new parent."

Shaking her head at him, Mrs. Davis turned to me. "Did you all have lunch?"

"Yeah, we ate before Hunter left to pick you up," I started saying, before gasping, "but we didn't save you any. You must be hungry!"

"Oh no, sweetheart, we ate on the plane, don't worry. I'm just wondering if their house is stocked up for going home later today," she said, waving me off with a gentle smile. "Hunter, darling, can you drive me to their house?"