10 | Maybe

"But if only you could see yourself in my eyes, you'd see you shine, you shine. I know you'd never leave me behind, but I am lost this time. Are we destined to burn or will we last the night? I will hold you 'til I hold you right"

~ Lost (Without Fear)

OLIVIA

I was sitting in a booth at the Cheesecake Factory, waiting for Hunter to arrive. He'd texted me just a few minutes ago to let me know he was only five minutes away.

I took a swing of my very alcoholic beverage, trying to work up some alcohol courage. God knows I need it tonight.

My heart was beating fast, unable to calm down ever since I arrived at the restaurant. I was extremely nervous and I couldn't understand why. My hands were clammy and no matter what I tried, they wouldn't dry.

The moment he walked in, my head turned to catch his eyes without thought. He was wearing a grey t-shirt with some black jeans and at that moment, no man has ever looked better.

He spoke to the waiter in the front for a few seconds before making his way to me with a smile. I stood as he came in for a quick hug. I wanted to hold on, to relish in his scent for a bit longer, but things don't always go as I'd like.

When we parted, Hunter used his index finger to lift up my chin so our eyes can meet. "Hey, feisty."

I grinned, the look in his eyes making me feel a bit dizzy. "Davis."

He chuckled and let me go. I sat immediately, needing support. Hunter followed suit, his eyes shining like it was his birthday. "How was your day?"

I shrugged. "A lot of paperwork, but it was good. What about you?"

"It wasn't that bad. Not too hectic. I felt like I could finally breathe after the last few weeks of insanity."

"But business is good, isn't it?"

"It is. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than grateful we're doing excellent," he let out a small laugh, almost at himself, "I guess I'm just complaining to complain."

"It is tiring work," I added, "how'd the problem with the customer from last night go? You didn't say anything earlier on the phone."

He waved it off. "Oh, it's resolved. It was just a small misunderstanding between my employee and the customer. But we're fixing it for free so they don't actually leave. I'm just glad I didn't need to fire one of my boys."

I watched him closely. "You sound very protective of them."

He shrugged, but I could tell they meant so much more to him that he was willing to let on. "I see them almost every day. I guess that's it."

I was about to push him a bit further when the waitress came around.

Her eyes lit up when she noticed Hunter; it was too bright to miss. "Welcome to the Cheesecake Factory, can I get you anything you drink?"

He offered her a kind smile. "I'll just get water, thanks."

"Alright," she said, blushing so obviously.

An awkward smile spread my lips as I watched her leave and then come back in a few seconds with his iced water.

"Thanks, Lila," he said, reading off her name tag.

That made her blush even more. "It's no problem. Are you ready to order?" She asked while looking at me and at me only.

I felt bad for her, especially since Hunter was so oblivious to her attraction. So I gave her an understanding smile and looked down at my menu quickly. "I'll get the pasta da Vinci as a small plate, thanks."