8 | Careful

"So we'll hide away and never tell. You decide if darkness knows you well. That lesson of love, all that it was. I need you to see you've got that power over me. Everything I hold dear resides in those eyes"

~ Power Over Me (Dermot Kennedy)

OLIVIA

I woke to the familiar scent of rosewood. My eyes opened in confusion, feeling something holding me tightly. I blinked at the sharp brightness of the morning sun shining through the windows. I didn't realize where I was until I turned to see the rigid wall I thought I was lying against.

Seeing his face shook me to the core and I almost jumped up to sit. But I didn't want to wake him, so I did my best to refrain.

Instead, I slowly turned so that I could better see his face. The sunlight must have been hitting his face right because he looked almost angelic. He was handsome, sure, but here, especially after last night, he was becoming more and more charming to me.

I shuddered at the thought and looked down at his chest. It was a ridiculous thought, at least that was what I tried to convince myself. I don't remember much of what happened last night. I remember us bickering over the characters on the movie as we ate and then laughing like idiots because I snorted when I chuckled at one of his stupid jokes. I must've fallen asleep before the movie finished, though, because I don't remember anything about watching the ending. I guess he fell asleep with me right here on the couch.

Hunter stirred then, tightening his arms around me. He let out a soft groan and murmured into my hair, "hey, baby."

I froze in my spot. My heart didn't get the memo, because it began to race. I didn't even know what to say or how to respond to that.

I was about to mutter a "what" when he continued. "You smell incredible, Delilah."

He was still sleeping...oh, hell.

I was still stuck on the name of the other woman he'd murmured in his sleep to mind the way the little moan that escaped him stopped my breathing. Who was she? Did she have anything to do with his panic attack last night?

The memory of last night's earlier events had me feeling terrible all over again. Jesus, why did I push and push when I knew he didn't want to tell me anything?

Even as we were watching Me Before You last night, he kept stopping and closing his eyes, trying hard to concentrate on his breathing and I knew he was still recovering. I didn't know what more I could do to help and it broke my heart to see him that way.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, trying to get ahead of my emotions. I needed to get up or I was going to overthink myself into insanity.

Somehow and with delicate care, I got out of Hunter's death grip like hold. I looked at him once more, committing how peaceful he looked to memory before heading toward his kitchen.

As soon as I reached the kitchen, I heard crying like sounds from the living room and I heard Hunter groan out, "Delilah? Where did you go?"

My hands that were reaching for the fridge door froze mid-air.

"Delilah?" he called out once more, his voice breaking. He sounded so weak, I didn't know what to do with myself. "You left, didn't you?"