12 | Peter

"She said, "Baby, tell me something you ain't never told no one before...I want the good, the bad, the hurt you had..." Girl, you got me tellin' all my secrets. Promise me you'll keep 'em. And I'll let 'em loose. Baby, you must be my weakness. Usually, I'm speechless"

~ Telling All My Secrets (Telling All My Secrets)

OLIVIA

I tried to drive with care. I put my all into it, but for all of my effort, I couldn't focus. My thoughts would drift to his voice and that phone call every time I tried to zone in on the road. I almost rear-ended a car before pulling into Hunter's driveway.

I sat in my car in silence for a while. My heart was racing. Not just because I almost caused an accident on the main road a few minutes ago, but also because I didn't know what to expect. I've never heard him that emotional before. Even when he had his nightmare, it didn't sound this bad.

Eventually, I coaxed myself out and walked to the front door. I took in a deep breath before ringing the bell.

He opened the door a few seconds later.

His eyes were red and puffy. His face was blotchy. His hair was a mess. He was dressed in a grey sweater and black jeans. He looked so put together and messed up at the same time.

My heart felt heavy and it hurt more the longer I took him in. "Hi," I whispered, feeling a lump forming in the back of my throat.

He gave me a smile. "Hi." It didn't reach his eyes. His voice was hoarse, almost gravelly. Has he been crying this whole time?

When he pulled the door open even further, I took a step forward and walked inside. He shut the door behind him as I turned to face him.

"I'm fine, Liv," he said, "you don't have to look at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like you're worried."

"Well, I am worried."

"You shouldn't be. You didn't have to come."

I stepped closer to where he stood. "I wanted to come. I've never heard you in so much pain, Hunter. You can't call me crying and expect me to not care."

He shook his head and shrugged. "It was just a moment of weakness, okay? I had a bad day, that's all."

I breathed, trying to choose my words carefully. "That doesn't make a difference. I still care that you had a bad day. I want to be here for you, regardless of what you want to share with me."

He narrowed his eyes in my direction.

I tried again. "You were there when I couldn't handle the situation with Amber. You offered me a hand with my dad. Is it hard to believe I'd want to return the favor?"

Some tightness left him then, softening his rigid build. "I didn't do that for IOUs."

I smiled. "I know." I took one more step closer and pushed the hair that was falling on his face back. It was too wild to tame as it just fell back onto his forehead. My smile widened at that. "I just want to be here for you."

His whole body relaxed and his eyes fully softened as he reached to grab my forearm. My hand fell to cup his face gently. My heart warmed when he leaned into my hand and closed his eyes for a second.

When he opened them again, the truth in them hit me like a wall of bricks. I exhaled a large breath at the pain there. I wanted to ask, I really did. But I'd promised not to push. I needed to be understanding. He'll tell me on his own time.