Chapter 27 I Feel the Colour Again

"Ember, happy birthday," A blonde maid with curly hair and a brunette butler with blue eyes wished him as they stood before Ember with a chocolate cake. 
"Yay, thank you, Elysine! Wagner!" Ember was four back then. A birthday to him, like all other kids his age, was the best day of his life and he wanted to celebrate it with his family. Maple and Loraine were in London back then, which left him with his father.

"Why don't you cut the cake, Ember?" The maid asked.
"No, I want daddy to be here when I cut it!" Ember smiled.
"Alright," She smiled and left for his father's office. 

"Tell him I'm busy. I can't attend today,"
"But it's your son, sir. It will just take a few minutes,"
"I don't even have seconds to spare, Elysa."
"Elysine,"
"Whatever. I can't bother remembering a maid's name. Leave me alone,"

"But what do I tell to Ember?" 
"I don't care. You have one job, do it right or get the hell out,"
"Yes, sir,"

. . .

"Summer vacations are gonna start tomorrow. What are your plans?" AJ asked Meenu.
"Same old, going to my cousins' place. I hate my cousins," Meenu shrugged her shoulders.
"My cousin is cool. We watch desi porn every time we meet," AJ said.
"Bet you even sword fight sometimes then,"

"With our own swords, yeah?"
"Dude, that is gay and incestuous,"
"I'm not fucking him. We're fucking ourselves,"
"Can we just-Rhea, what are you doing these vacations?"

"I'm going to help my cousin," Rhea smiled.
"Aw, such a nice cousin you are, Rhea,"
"Not really, she said she'd pay me if I do,"
"What?!" Meenu and AJ shouted together.
"This is so unfair. Why don't I have cousins like that," AJ slapped his forehead.

"What about you, Ember?" Meenu asked.
"Well, nothing much. I'm just going to a festival," Ember smiled.
"A festival?" Rhea asked.
"Nason is organizing one here this year,"
"WHAT?!" She got up.

"Stop gossiping! SIT DOWN!" The teacher shouted.
"I'd just be happy to move away from this guy for a month," AJ mumbled.

After the class was over, Rhea and Ember walked out the mall, to where she had parked her bicycle. 
"Ember, tell me more about that festival," Rhea asked.
"Oh yeah, you should come actually," He shoved his hands inside his bag and took out a small envelope, "Here" He passed it to her.

"What is this?" She looked at the card.'lnternational Nason Anime Conference And Review Fiesta 2018' That was what it read.
"A pamphlet for the festival. You must come," Ember insisted, "Nason organises it every year in June. This year we are doing it here in India,"

"You organize an entire festival?!" Rhea asked.
"Yeah, we give back ten per cent of our annual earnings as a gift to our viewers in form of a festival. It's huge, you should attend it, you won't regret it,"
He sat behind her bicycle and she looked at him, "I'm sorry, I can't. My parents would never allow me to,"

"Well, I guess in that case," Ember looked at her and smiled, "You just gotta fight for it,"
"Look, I can't. My parents don't like it when I fight over stuff like this," She brought the envelope before him, "I'm sorry,"
"You said you'd fight for me. We made a promise," He continued smiling, "Breaking it already?"
Her grip over that envelope loosened and Ember noticed it. 

"It's alright," He took the envelope from her, "I understand,"
She quietly got on her bike and pushed the stand away. She began paddling as he sat behind her. It was an unusually quiet ride. They stopped before those same old and grey buildings. He got down from the bicycle, "Thank you for the ride," He smiled, "I'll...see you after vacations then," She looked at him go.

"Ember," She called his name and he turned back.
"Yes?"
"Give me that envelope,"
"Huh? But you said your parents don't like it when-"
"My parents don't like anything I do," She interrupted him and snatched the envelope from him, "Doesn't mean I won't do it,"