Chapter 51 Whether They Want To

"Chuck, vroom us away," Ember smiled and Rhea laughed "Vroom, such a funny word," Ember laughed with her as Chuck drove. Rhea looked outside the window, wondering where he was taking her when slowly, she began recognising the streets and before words could reach her mouth, they were already before the painting shop. It was closed that evening and only a single streetlight was lighting a patch of the street.

"Fireflies again?" Rhea asked as she got down. Ember turned off the streetlight and it turned pitch black. He took Rhea's hand and walked into the forest. "I can't see anything, what if we run into a snake?"
"Yeah, we have anacondas here," He laughed, "It's not the Amazon, Rhea,"

They walked to the centre of the forest and Ember finally stopped. He turned towards Rhea,
"Happy sweet sixteen, Rhea" He smiled and clipped his fingers. Slowly, the entire forest lit up with Persian blue lights and blue butterflies. She could see that the ground beneath her was covered with blue flowers. She knelt down, "This is so beautiful, you did all this for me?"

"Yes!" He smiled. 
Damn, he must really like me, she thought. Why else would he go through such lengths for her.
"Feeling inspired yet?" He asked.
She looked at him, "You just did this to inspire me?" 

"Everything I do is to inspire you,"
She looked down, her heartbeat falling, the euphoria slowly fading away, "But why?"
"What do you mean?" His smile faded away.
"Why can't you just do things...for me? Why is it always for art?" She asked, "What am I to you? Just an artist," She looked up at his face, "What is this relationship?"

He seemed confused, "I thought...You liked it, maybe?"
"I did," She said, "But it seems I...

I like you more,"

His cheeks turned pink, "What do you mean?"
"That I like it when you smile for no reason, not because it inspires me... but because I-..." She looked at his face, her heart was about to jump out of her chest, her face went red and she grabbed his hand, his face turned red next, she could feel his pulse grow, she squeezed his hand softly, "I-..."

I love you!

He looked at her lips, "You?"
"I-I've got something for you too" She rolled down a silver ring into his palms, "What is this?" He chuckled. Rhea was already wearing a similar one into her index finger. Ember's ring read 'FOREL'. 
"Forel? A book case?" He looked at her and then at her ring. Rhea's ring read 'SKET'.

"Sket? A careless girl, yeah that's you. But how am I a bookcase?"
"Look at this,"
She pressed their hands together, and the rings together read '♡FORELSKET♡'

"...I remember teaching this word to you, you remembered?" Ember asked.
"Of course, I did. It has a beautiful meaning," She smiled, "The euphoria you experience when you're first falling in love,"

. . .

Rhea looked at the school bulletin board as other students passed by behind her. The corridors were filled with noises and so was her soul. It was a notice, a moment of dilemma.

"World Paints Art competition Level 1, 20XX.
Venue- South Delhi, India Gate park
Date- 1st March, 20XX Time 12:00 pm,"

"Winners directly get to the international round, where professional artists will judge the competition which will be held at Miami Beach, USA,"

She stared it for a long time. It seemed to take forever but it was happening. It was time to test herself. A test she felt she wasn't ready for. She could paint but she wasn't strong enough to participate in such a huge competition. What if she messed up and embarrassed herself? But, Ember would be happy if she participated. She couldn't choose; should she listen to her mind or her heart? She held her bag and walked into the noisy halls. The corridors were lit with a striking blaze of the afternoon sun.