{eighteen}

My head was spinning
Thought the real me was long gone
Thought I was losing until you came along
Baby, like a dream
For a moment maybe I could be wrong
You took my hand we danced away to our song
Suddenly, I'm set free

Oh when the nights get cold
All these stars but I'm still alone
And I need your hand to hold
Don't let me face this on my own

I needed you, I needed you, I needed you
I still need you
I needed you, I needed you
I still need you, I needed you

- Evie Clair, "I Needed You"

k e n z i e

"How are you?"

I lean on the windowsill, looking out of my apartment onto the nighttime LA traffic. "Well..." Holding the phone closer to my ear, I take a deep breath.

"I'm good. I'm pretty busy now. I can't believe how much people like Monsters. I've been at interviews all day, and tomorrow I'm doing a writing session because Jimmy wants an album now."

I hear Johnny suck in his breath from the other end of the line. "Wow. An album?"

"I know, right?"

"I'm so happy for you. You're not working too hard, right? Take some breaks if you need to."

I can't help but smile. "You're so overprotective." I tease, but I reassure him, "I'm taking it pretty easy for now."

He laughs. "You know me. Anyhow, that's good." 

"So how are you doing?" I ask.

"Busy." It's Johnny's turn to take a deep breath. "I'm writing and recording songs for a test EP, and doing some mini performances to see if I can open for some artists' tours. My manager is trying to get me started on everything. He's also making me put covers up on YouTube."

"Oh yeah," I nod, "I've seen those. You're sounding amazing."

Chuckling, he thanks me. "Anyways, I hope I get something to start up here, or it'll all have been a waste. But I guess I wouldn't mind going back too. I miss everyone down there."

"Hey," I say, raising my eyebrows to emphasize my words, even though he can't see me, "You need to take it easy too."

"Can't." Johnny laughs tiredly.

I can just imagine him sitting by himself in his hotel room, tired, and homesick, and I frown. "Well...find some way to." 

"I'll try, but no promises." He sighs again. "You know, I was technically your counselor...but you've helped me with more than you know."

"Really? With what?" I furrow my eyebrows, but can't stop a smile from creeping over my face.

"I've never had any really good friends. I've just sort of found it hard to talk to people sometimes. But you're such a good listener, and it feels so comfortable to talk to you, even if it's not about a problem I have."

I laugh. "Funny, that's what I thought about you when I first met you."

"Thought? As in past tense?" He teases, and I roll my eyes.