{bonus chapter - panic attacks}

The sounds of games beeping and children running and laughing filled the atmosphere. Among the many kids, Johnny, Kenzie, Annie, and Hayden were the only non-parent older people at the arcade. They didn't mind, though. It was like taking a trip back in time to be kids again, not having to worry about all the pressures of "adult life" for a little bit.

"Nice shot!" Johnny teasingly clapped Hayden on the back as he missed a 3rd shot in a row. Hayden glared back, and the two girls laughed.

"30 seconds left," Annie informed him, and he tossed and missed another basketball into the net. Hayden huffed loudly as Johnny landed two baskets next to him. "I think it's safe to say I shouldn't be a basketball player," he remarked, and the rest of them laughed good naturedly.

When the time ran out on their game, Johnny checked his phone. "It's getting a little late." he noted. "Maybe we should head out and get something to eat on our way back."

"That works for us." Annie nodded.

"Sound alright, Kenz?" Johnny asked, and she nodded.

If she was being honest with herself, Kenzie was exhausted from being out all day and badly in need of some alone time. But being too scared to be a party pooper, she didn't say anything.

As they made their way out of the arcade, they debated about where to eat, before finally settling on a simple burger place that was on their way to their apartments.

"Oh gosh, it's raining!" Annie exclaimed as they got to the door. "We'll have to make a run for it."

"This will be fun." Johnny took Kenzie's hand, laughing. "We'll run on 3."

They counted down, and then burst out of the door, dashing for their cars. As they crossed the parking lot, a car pulled out in front of them, narrowly missing Kenzie.

"Woah," Johnny jumped and pulled her closer to him. "Missed a bad accident there..."

The driver rolled down his window, shouting something about how they shouldn't be running and the like. Johnny apologized until the man seemed to have calmed down, and then they hurried back to their cars.

"I'm sorry," he said, opening the passenger door for Kenzie before running around to his own. She nodded and pulled her wet jacket closer around herself. She was shaking, terrified, and embarrassed because of how upset the driver had been at them.

When Johnny climbed in beside her, he started the car and got onto the road. "You okay?" he asked, noticing her silence.

She nodded. "Y-Yeah, just cold." Johnny turned up the heat and set up directions to In-n-Out, where they were supposed to meet Annie and Hayden.

Kenzie couldn't stop shaking and her heart wouldn't calm down. Her mind, although badly in need of rest, seemed to repeat the words the driver had shouted at them endlessly, and her mind kept replaying the almost-hit. The anxiety was beginning to settle in.

Deep breaths, she told herself, and tried to slow her breathing. Johnny has turned on the music, and was humming along silently, but her mind was beginning to spin. When they arrived at the restaurant, she mechanically got out and followed Johnny inside. Even the rain didn't seem to pull her out from the hole she was falling into...and she was falling fast.

"We got here safely," Annie greeted them as they got inside safely. She breathed deeply, hugging Kenzie and laughing. "Need to go to the bathroom and dry off a little?"

Kenzie shook her head, no. There was loud chatter inside the restaurant, and it wasn't helping the stress her brain was under. Everything seemed to move by in a horrible blur, and at this point, she didn't even care about eating anymore.