Part 8

Julia's POV:

Steve and I had just finished putting up the decorations for Collins birthday party, so I went too and get her ready for the celebration while Steve went to go and get his mother from the airport.  I went up to her room to find her standing there in her crib trying to get out. I brought her downstairs and saw my mother walking in, I rolled my eyes at the fact that I was going to get an earful for not telling her about Collins. 

I held Collins in one arm and went over to give my mother-in-law a hug.

"Julia!" she said as I tried to turn away from her

"You didn't tell me that you were adopting a baby, is this what the Celebration is for" she said. How dare she assume that I adopted MY child.

"Lucinda, I didn't adopt her. I gave birth to her and today is actually her first birthday. That why you are here." I told her trying to sound unaffected by her comment. 

"Really? Well give her to her grandmummy." she exclaimed walking over to the couch. 

We went over to the couch and I handed Collins over to my mother-in-law, she sat there playing with her while I went to the kitchen to escape the snarky comments of the woman who gave birth to me.  Steven had walked in after taking my mother's bag to the guest room and attacked me from behind. 

"I don't know how long I'm gonna last with her here," I told him. Steve just looked into my eyes and smiled. 

"It's only for three days then it's back to normal." he said after kissing me.

I smiled at him trying to reassure me, I went back to the living room to finish getting Collins ready while guests began to arrive. I walked over to his mother and took Collins right out of her arms and walked upstairs, I wanted to nurse her because I didn't want her to be fussy during her party, plus I didn't know how long she was gonna remain nursing so I wanted to soak it up as much as I could. 

I began nursing her in her bedroom and in walks Lucinda, she looks around Collins nursery and scoffs.

"What kind of nursery is this, I should have my team put together a new one before I leave." she critiques.

"No I like her nursery like this, I did it myself." I told her while Collins finished up her feeding. 

She looked at me with one of her "I'm disgusted" faces and walked out of the room. I got up pushing that to the side and got Collins into her outfit. My baby girl was one and I couldn't believe it. She looked gorgeous in the little outfit that I had made for her.

I went downstairs out to the backyard and saw that everyone was waiting for me to bring Collins out

I went downstairs out to the backyard and saw that everyone was waiting for me to bring Collins out. I noticed Lucinda sitting there looking around at everything and everyone, I scoffed and turned my attention to Collins. I didn't realize that I had put her down on the floor, but she was standing there all by herself, not holding onto anything. I was shocked and put my hands over my mouth as she began to take her first steps. My baby was walking, she was doing it on her own.

Collins POV:

Mommy had put me down while looking out at the old lady in the yard, I sat there looking around at the house. It was so busy today, I didn't realize what was going on so I just sat there thinking to myself but I saw Daddy come into the kitchen. I began crawling to him but this crawling thing was slow and getting old very fast, so I stood up on my legs and began to take steps. Mommy saw and put her hand to her face in utter shock. 

If I'm being honest I was shocked as well, I was trying to walk for the last three months and I finally did it.  Mommy picked me up and took me over to Daddy, they were both crying and just as fast as it started they dried their tears as we headed for the back door. We walked out and everyone began cheering and singing the happy birthday song. Holy crap, it's my birthday, not the real one but the second one. I guess the shock and loudness from everyone singing scared me cause I was balling and Daddy handed me to Mommy. The Grandma walked over to us and said "You should be ashamed of yourself Julia, scaring the child like that. Who's idea was it anyway." while taking me from mommy's arms.

I looked over at Mommy who seemed to be really pissed, she was turning red and turned to go inside. The grandma was holding me and told daddy to go check on mommy.  The grandma walked over to the table and began to play with me. After a moment of that Mommy came over to us and asked if the grandma would come inside. She got up and carried me indoors with her. 

"I think it is best if you go to a hotel for the remainder of your trip." Mommy said, taking me out of the grandma's arms.

"So, you're kicking me out?" she said looking at Daddy who seemed not to be making eye contact

"This is my daughters first birthday, and if I'm being frank I am kicking you out of my house. I will not be uncomfortable in my own home." Mommy yelled. 

The grandma Straightened her posture and told mommy and daddy that she will send somoeone for her bags.