Part 2.1

Pipers POV:

I sat in the corner as I watched my frazzled mother pave back and forth trying to remember where we last saw my bear. It was late and my crying only seemed to worry her even more. "Melony, Honey." She began as she sighed deeply " It's late, I promise we will find the bear in the morning. We looked everywhere my love I don't..." the phone rang interrupting her in the middle of a sentence. While mommy was on the phone I saw through the blinds that daddy was pulling into the driveway. I ran to the front door with my hopes high that he would have found my bear. I stood there on the porch as I saw my father exited the car, he walked up to me with a long face.

"Mel, your gonna be six in a couple of months I think it's time that we let the bear go." he sighed. My heart was broken. My mother came up behind me and put her hands on my shoulders "We'll look some more in the morning." she declared. I slowly went upstairs to my bedroom, this would be the first night that I wouldn't have my bear to sleep with me. Mommy laid in bed next to me while I cried telling me stories and trying to make me feel better. I heard my baby brother cry from the other room and mom went to see what was the matter. I turned over toward the blank wall and felt my tears fall onto my pillow. I cried myself to sleep that night.

I woke up to a man's large hand over my mouth. I didn't know what was happening at first I came around. I tried to scream, kick, and fight him off but my small frame was nothing compared to his. The man hopped into the back of a car and we headed signaled for the driver to take off. As we drove I was whisked from side  to side of the car as the man in the back along with me tried to placeme in hand ties.

"I want my daddy. Please let me go" I cried. He told me to shut up and continued to place the ties around my hands and feet. I cried out for anyone to but all together the man had placed something in my mouth. It felt as though we drove for hours until finally the car came to a stop. The man carried me out and into another car. I was too tired to fight them off so I just let it happen. Inside the car were two other children who were just as scared as I was. I could tell that the one boy had been crying, his eyes were red and puffy, just as mine were. All three of us sat in the back of the car while three older men all talked among each other.

"What are you gonna do with your money?" the man with the brown hair asked. "First I'm gonna buy my wife the wedding ring she deserves. Then I'm gonna save up for a house." the man with the buzz cut responded. "Isn't it ironic that you are a family man when you're literally a taker?" laughed another. I didn't get to finish listening to their conversation because I had fallen asleep in the car.

I had woken up in a panic, Nick shook me awake and tried to calm me down. "Was it another one of your dreams." he whispered. I shook my head. I pulled back the covers and made my way to Maxine's room. I touched her soft hair and watched as she slept peacefully. I went down to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. I was sweating profusely so I grabbed a change of clothes in the laundry room. Nick came downstairs right after me and hugged me. He was the only one who understood, he was someone who helped me through the rough times.

We stood there in each others arms until Maxine came running downstairs. She was like any other happy eight-year old except for the ways that she wasn't. I start making her lunch for school, Peanut butter and Jam with the crust cut off, a fruit cup, a hydro flask filled to the brim with water and three Oreo cookies. As I pack the items into her lunch bag I stare at her, i know she isn't "mine" but she doesn't know any different. Nick grabs the bowls as she grabs the cereal from the cupboard.

"Mama, I need pictures for my family tree project at school." she tells me. I become flustered and try to come up with and excuse for her but Nick does it for me. "Sorry Max, but remember all of the family photos were destroyed in a house fire a couple of months back. We'll ring the teacher and tell her about the situation." I smile at him and continue packing the lunch bag.

About fifty minutes later I fix Maxines hair and get ready to walk her to school. When we reach the school building I kiss her bye for now and make my way home. But before I could go in I see Nick speaking with someone who I don't recognize. By the look of the car parked out our house it seems as if he is a cop. I walk up onto our porch and the officer says "Piper Godfrey and Nickolas Simon, please come with me if you want to see Maxine again."