Runaway

Cassidy’s POV

I feel the strings bite into my red fingers, my skin raw from all the plucking and strumming.

Shutting my eyes, I let the sounds engulf me.

The nearby water rushes along with the passing clouds.

Taking in the smells of grass and salt water, my fingers instinctively started picking the strings of my acoustic guitar.

Minutes passed by as I continued to fumble with chords, and let words tumble out of my mouth and onto the music sheets.

Giving up, I flipped through the book that laid beside my mess of song attempts.

Before all the drawings, scratches, and scribbles I drew on the black cover, it was originally just a thick book full of blank pages.  

I leaned back onto the tree behind me and stared down at the white pages, filled with scribbles and miscellaneous doodles.

During my free time or moments of inspiration, I wrote down the rhymes and poems that form in my mind.

Slowly slipping the music sheets and my book into my guitar case, I scan the parks horizon.

Ice cream cart.

Dog walkers.

Tree swings.

Trees.

Grass.

Flowers.

Couples.

I love this place so much.

I had claimed my spot by this tree years ago.

A few autumns ago, I noticed the bright red leaves that laid beneath this tree while I was out for a run, and I automatically fell in love and never left it’s side since then.

It sat between the running waters and to one of the main roads in the park.

On one side of the tree, there would be the soft buzz of kids, runners, and bikers.

While the other, would have the faint crashing of waves, sashaying trees, and cartwheeling fallen leaves.

From writing, reading, or climbing up to enjoy the view, it was my way of escaping reality.

Well. Sort of.

My head snaps to the main road where a series of sudden shrieks echos in my ears.

A few other people also look in the direction of the screams in curiousity.

I continued to watch the group of girls cluster around, frantically fumbling with something in their hands.

Looking around, I smirk at a group of teens underneath a tree giving the girls an evil eye.

This is why I stay far away from the road.

The group slowly started to backup from the middle, allowing me to take a few glimpses.

My heart raced at what I saw.

I didn’t have to make a double take on his hair or face.

Right when I saw half of his face, I was practically shoving my guitar back into its case.

I stole glances back up to him.

Shit, half the girls are walking away.

He could probably see me.

Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crrrraaaaaaap.

Why the fuck won’t this go in??!?!

Oh right, the guitars going the the wrong way you dumbass.

I give myself a mental slap in the face and scrambled around.

What the hell is wrong with me?!?

I flick a strand of hair out of my face as I hurriedly zipped the case closed.

With the black pick in my palm, I used my other hand to fling the guitar case across my chest.

The weight on my back didn’t hold me down as my mind raced.

Using my free hand, I slipped my phone down my front pocket and started to run.

As the phone dug down into my hip, I heard what I thought I would never hear again.

“Cass!”

My feet pounded against the concrete as I sprinted home.

The trees disappeared as a few buildings started to peek out from behind.

“Cass!”

“Cassidy! Wait Up!”

“Cassy!”

His voice tuned everything out, digging up all the memories I tried to bury months ago.

I continued to run, hearing his shoes slap the ground.

I picked up my pace and made twists and turns around confused people, and busy streets.

I eventually look back, to realize he wasn’t there.

I lost him.

He’s gone.

For the second time.

I quickly snapped out of my daze and made my way around the familiar neighborhood, and back to my flat.

The key danced in my fingers before I slipped it into the lock, and made my way into my bedroom.

The cold duvet hugged my lifeless body, as I waited for the memories to come back crashing down onto me.