Slipped Away

**** Remember! The texts in bold are flashbacks! ****

Luke’s POV

After all the running, I lost her in a crowd of people.

I almost had her.

But she slipped away.

“Hey Tracie” I smiled.

The barista looked up from the whipped cream topped drink, her face mixed with shock and, I think what seems like happiness and confusion.

“Luke!” She came around the counter and gave me a tight squeeze.

“What are you doing here?”

“Do you know where Cass is?” I asked.

She bite her lip with hesitance, and went back to the abandoned drink.

I watched her cap the drink before handing it to a waiting customer.

“Luke... I don’t think you should be looking for h-”

“I need to talk to her” I pleaded.

She gave me the glare I thought I hated, but it just made me miss Cass even more.

Whenever I woke her up while she was sleeping, she would give me the same glare, but I would continue to bug her until she cracked and started smiling.

And when we stayed up all night, watching movies. Sometimes I would catch her staring at me, but she would just brush it off by smiling or playfully throwing a piece of popcorn at me.

“As her friend, I never want to see her hurt. Do you even realize what you did to her?”

I looked down at my pair of black converse, goddammit, I remember hers being just as beat up as mine.

I could still remember her laugh when I fell down, not knowing that she had tied the laces together.

“Yes... but I’m her best friend. Please, I need to see her.”

My fingers dug into my front pockets, as she nervously played with her apron.

Don’t.

Stop.

I felt my eyes start to glaze up.

“Tree” she mumbled.

“What?”

“She’s probably at the park, underneath the tree.”

“Thank you sosososososo much Tracie.”

My hands trembled as I waved goodbye, she gave me a small smile as I jogged across the street, and into the park’s entrance.

The cab drove off as I walked up to her front door.

My knocks echoed into the other side of the door.

“Cassy?”

The distant noise floated in my ears.

I felt my heart beat with pain.