Red Cheeks

Cassidy’s POV

When we get to the front door, I fish out my keys from my pocket.

My cold hands fiddle with the pieces of metal.

Slipping them into the lock, the door opened with a click.

We stumble into the dark and eerie room, letting the wet and humid weather slip in.

The bags crowded the doorway, letting water drip onto the floor.

“You should take your sweater off” I laugh.

Luke was busy taking off his shoes to remember.

He made a face and peeled the drenched sweater off his body, revealing his tight shirt.

The wet shirt hugged his shoulder and back, outlining his body.

Snapping out of my daze, I glance away and try my best to hide my hot cheeks.

I took it from his hand and made my way to the washing machine, chucking it in.

Doing the same with mine, I heard Luke’s voice echo nearby.

I peeked into the bathroom, “What?”

“What’s this?” he picks up a blue and white ball from a little basket I kept by the tub.

“It’s a bath bomb.”

“Really?” he takes a sniff, his mouth forming an “O” shape.

“Ooohh this one smells good,” taking a another whiff, a few pieces crumble into the bathtub.

“Do you want to use it?”

“Umm... I’m not really a bath person, it’s like bathing in your own filth.”

I laugh, “That’s what I thought, but it’s nice to have one once in a while.”

“Umm... okay,” his face unsure.

“Don’t worry, you just have to relax” I smile.

He gives me a grin before I get the tap running, “The last time I relaxed, a mysterious girl I’ve talked to for a year turned out to be my best friend.”

A thin layer of water covers the bottom of the tub, rippling lightly underneath the tap.

I run my fingers underneath the water, adjusting the temperature.

“I did tell you that we’ve met me before.”

The water feels just right under my hand.

“Okay, tell me when the tub’s almost full.”

His eyes under the spell of the water, and nods.

I walk over to the front door and heave the bags up and onto the kitchen countertop.

I was almost done unpacking everything, when Luke gives a small shout “It’s donnneeee.”

The sound of running water stops as I walk into the bathroom, his face with a confused look.

“Why’d you want me to call you?”

I pluck the bath bomb from his hand and smile, “It’s fun to watch.”

In the corner of my eye, I watch Luke’s expression change from confused, to baffled, as the ball touches the water.

The water starts fizzing and bubbling around the ball, turning the water into a bright shade of blue.

“Cool” he smiles.

I stand up straight, the lemon and lavender oils wafting through the air.

I turn my head to say something but coil back at the smell of his shoulder.

“I think the bird crap seeped into your shirt.”

He sniffed his t-shirt and winced.

“I’ll put it in the wash for you,” I suggest.

With his back facing me, he pulls of his shirt.

I couldn’t help but stare at his bare back.

His arms carved with muscles, the curves of his shoulder blades.

I catch myself staring for a long time, and quickly shuffled out the door with his shirt before he could notice my flaming red cheeks.