"Relax"

Cassidy’s POV

My legs hung on either sides of the tree branch I sat on, swinging lightly with the gentle breeze.

I had spent the morning at work talking with Tracie and Nessa.

We both met Nessa when we first worked at the Cafe, Tracie then started going to the same college as her.

She moved to Australia a few years ago,  after her mother passed away back home in New York.

After that, I had lunch with them during their lunch break, and we split ways as I went to the park to relax.

I’ve been up in the tree listening to music, reading, writing, and watching boats pass by on the waters.

I couldn’t find a good view of both the park and water at first, but there was a perfect view up high in the tree.

Leaves and branches disconnected me from reality below me.

The tree branches above me were parted, giving me a open view of the park on the right, the sea on the left.

I had zipped up my hoodie and hung my bag on a nearby branch.

A small Ding! interrupting my air guitar solo, I looked down to see a Skype notification.

Penguin1996: Hey, I’m at the entrance

Galactic.trap18: I’m near the ice cream cart.

Penguin1996: Mkay

I listen to the first verse before unplugging my headphones.

Well I’m so tired of the rain falling softly on the ground,

Just enough to get my feet wet but not enough to let me drown.

A few minutes later, my phone vibrates again.

Penguin1996: Where are you?

I look over to my right, finding the ice cream cart hidden behind a few leaves.

Luke was a few feet away from the cart, patiently waiting on his phone for a response.

Galactic.trap18: Lol, I see you

Immediately, he looks up and scans the open field, looking for a familiar face.

I smiled at the lost boy as he walked around, looking for galactic.trap18.

Penguin1996: I knew you wouldn’t make it easy for me

I let out a laugh as he pouts and continues to scavenge for his mystery girl.

But he has no luck finding me.

Galactic.trap18: You need to relax, the answer will come to you

Penguin1996: The answer WILL come to me, if you just told me who you were

Galactic.trap18: Sommmeeebody’s eager

Penguin1996: I just wanna know who’s the genius that’s been helping us on our album

Galactic.trap18: Flattering me isn’t gonna work :P

He starts walking towards my tree with a smile on his face, never looking up from his phone.

Penguin1996: D: Dammit, I was so close!

Galactic.trap18: I’m immune to your sarcasm

Penguin1996: Lol, The Big Bang Theory reference

I held my breath as Luke sat down under my tree, scared that he’ll notice me.

Penguin1996: I’m relaxed now, where are you?

Galactic.trap18: You’re almost there

Penguin1996: Let me guess, I need to relaxxxxxx

Galactic.trap18: Make fun of me all you want, you’ll understand soon

Penguin1996: Soon

Galactic.trap18: Mhm

He tilts his head back, eyes closed.

His chest rises and falls as he took deep breathes.

The leaves around me ripples in the wind, swaying to the faint buzz of the passing boats.

A few quiet minutes passed, when my phone vibrates once again.

I look down to see Luke’s eyes staring back into mine, his face indecipherable.

Penguin1996: Cass?

I looked at him, and back at his message.

Galactic.trap18: Yea?

~~~~~~~~~~

“Drown” ~ Front Porch Step