Another Infamous Night

Cassidy’s POV

“I don’t know how to say it...”

I give him a reassuring smile and wait for him to continue.

“I dreamt that... when we got back from tour... I came back to find out you were gone...”

My smile slipped a little, his eyes searched mine, for any sign, and went on.

“I couldn’t find you, no one would tell me, like I lost you,” tears welled up and slipped down his cheeks.

I couldn’t help but wipe them away, and keep quiet.

“What was even worse was, that, I left without saying what I wanted to. And when you were gone, it made me feel worse, knowing that you left with the memory of me hurting you.”

Speechless, his teary eyes looked into mine.

I honestly didn’t know what to say, what to do.

“And it’s not much of a dream, more of reality...”

My hand found his, and I give him a small squeeze.

“Hey... I’m not going anywhere, I’ll stay right here... okay?” I give him a small smile, his hand returning a squeeze.

“I don’t want to lose you Cass...” his hand grips tighter on my hands, I could feel his pulse against my skin.

“Remember last year?”

I felt a knot in my stomach, a lump in my throat.

I nod slowly.

“I wish I never said those things...”

“Me too,” I whisper.

But my voice wouldn’t let anything come out.

I advert my eyes back to his, they were filled with regret, guilt, and a hint of something else.

Something I couldn’t recognize.

His mouth opens with hesitation, but he closes it and his eyes shift around my face.

I give him a last squeeze before letting go of his hand. “Wanna have another one of our infamous movie nights?”

He gives me a small smile and slides off the bed, and slinks towards the door.

I trail behind him, and a few clicks later, Ratatouille is playing.

The familiar Disney intro starts as we try to get comfortable in our spots.

A hear a small laugh from my side and I turn my attention to Luke.

His tears had dried up, leaving a small hint of what was the trail of tears on his cheeks.

He was arranging the fluffy pillows on the couch, creating a fort around us.

I smiled. “What?”

“I just noticed that you have so many pillows. They’re everywhere,” he grins.

I dropped one in my lap and throw the duvet on top, making it seem like I was pregnant.

“Why do you have so many?”

They’re there when I want someone to hug.

Something to hold.

Something to lean on.

Something that’s always there for me.

I smile, “They’re comfortable, and you could never have enough.”

We settle in and watch the TV light the dark room with life.