Chapter 11

So four days ago Max told me he beat someone up. More specifically, he beat a guy up at his last school and therefore no one really liked him. We didn't chat anymore that day and the next we acted just like normal, and the next, and the next and so on.

It was like we made a silent oath, 'don't breath a word about beating someone up. Don't say a thing about it'. Kind of.

Well, he succeeded with getting my mind on other things. The only thing I've been thinking about is wether Max is actually a mass murderer or just a teen with anger issues. I almost forgot about my friends ignoring me. Almost.

I only stopped spacing out when I saw Paige's bouncing ponytail entering my vision. She was looking right at me and was walking towards me. Was she going to talk to me? Finally! I began to smile weakly as we held eye contact. Now she was just a few metres away from me. A weak wave was sent her way by me, then- she walked passed me.

I froze in the middle of the crowded hallway as I heard her chuckle behind me. Her chuckle died out as she skipped away. Ouch. I even started smiling, ugh I'm so lame. I rubbed my face with my hands and I prayed that no one saw that. I ignored the fact that my chest now seemed to weigh about three more tons.

When my fingers finished massaging my tired eyes I looked up again. To my surprise I met another pair of eyes, they were looking right at me. The guy who sleeps in hallways and is very rude but also very dead looking, (I need a name for him) looked straight at me with an expression I couldn't fathom.

I awkwardly averted my gaze and instead looked at the window to my right. Ooookay. My green orbs averted themselves back without my consent, sleepy boy wasn't looking at me anymore though, he was walking away. That was... Weird. Why did he look at me like that?

Everyone's so weird.

I sighed and adjusted the strap of my gym bag and began heading to the P.E building. Let's see how basketball practice goes when everyone of my teammates are acting like I don't exist. Except Evan of course.

The old door squeaked extra loudly than it usually did when I pushed it open. The place was empty, except for a few people sitting in the viewing area. Waiting for the practice to start. Paige stood leaned against the wall beside the locker room door with her arms crossed over her chest. Probably waiting for her boyfriend. Great.

I took a breath and began walking to the changing rooms like I usually did. Except my heart was pounding nervously. Please just let me by, let me by, let me by-

"Where do you think you're going?" Paige said with a finger pressed up against my chest. I gave her fingernail a look. It looks like she had been chewing off some of the nail polish.

"The changing rooms? To change?" I said slowly like it was obvious and she wasn't understanding the most simplest of things. Which was true. It's obvious.

"After what you did to my friend, you're not welcome to play anymore." She sneered and looked about ready to spit in my face. I pursed my lips inwards and tried once again to walk by her. Her nail dug into my skin and I gave her an incredulous look.

"Please, don't be like this Paige." She rolled her eyes.

"Don't 'Paige' me, you piece of-"

"What's going on?" Evan AKA my saviour opened the door and looked between Paige and me. He gave me a remorseful look before turning towards the pissed of lady.

"Is there a problem? You're not getting in the way of our practice are you? We have a match soon, you know that." Boom! Evan is in the house. Paige's reaction almost made me laugh as she blubbered out something I didn't understand and soon let me through. I whispered to Evan while walking by,

"Thanks." He patted my shoulder.

I walked inside but the war wasn't over yet. Kevin and Luke sat beside each other, laughing about something. Their mouth's slammed shut when they noticed me. Oh, boy.

"Hi?" They just nodded my way. I guess Paige said she'd slit their throats if they even said a word to me. Huh. They left soon after, I tried to ignore the way Kevin rushed his shoe laces and only ran out with one shoe tied. Real nice.

With a sigh I slipped my other clothes off. I dressed as quickly as possible, I don't need them being angry at me for being slow either. I hid my bag somewhere other than my locker in case they got any unoriginal ideas.

When I walked out again the room was filled with our other teammates and the platform with seats had a bunch of new people on it. I didn't look over there for to long though as I knew, Paige and Mikayla sat there somewhere.

Our practices consisted mostly of practice matches since like Evan said before, we have a match soon and we want to be fully prepared. I wasn't surprised when Kevin and Luke gave me a nervous look when I began confronting them. It's usually us four when we do practice matches but I guess... I stopped... I'm not that welcome right now.

I turned on my heal and headed towards the other half of the team. I hardly knew their names, how messed up is that.

"Can I be with you guys this time?" Their eyes were the size of planets and only one of them nodded, albeit slowly. They don't have to be that shocked. Geez.

One of them ran towards the other half AKA the ones that don't really like my presence anymore. Coach, who was sitting on a chair by the sidelines called out, "Is everyone ready?"

"Wait."

I looked towards Evan who ran towards the other side of the court. He gave me a smile, I couldn't smile back. I was to confused.

"I wanna be on this team." The guys gave the same reaction but this time no one nodded. One of them just ran towards Kevin, Luke and the other guy who had to switch too.

"Me too..." Kevin said but with a lot less confidence. He faced the ground as he walked towards me with quick steps. When he arrived at the other side of the court he swung his arm around my shoulder and frowned at me.

"Sorry, man. We should've done this sooner, I just... You know how I am with group pressure." I shook my head. I honestly don't care about how rude they were anymore. I thought they would turn towards me a lot later though. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Another person from the team went towards Luke and the other guys who had to switch. Luke stared at me for a moment before going towards me like Evan and Kevin. 

"I'm a jerk." He said when he came towards me.

"Yeah, you are." I grinned. The last person from the other half ran towards the other side and now it looked like we had just switched sides, not teams. Coach sighed.

"Well, that was a complete waste of my time." 

We all laughed- or correction- everyone except Luke laughed. With a solemn expression he looked towards the platform where Paige sat. Loud stomps echoed throughout the room and my best guess was Paige. She gets pissed when people go against her opinion. Let's hope she doesn't break up with Luke. He really doesn't need that right now.

Plus I would feel guilty. If they do breakup then isn't it technically my fault? If Luke just stayed on the other side of the court than Paige would be happy, right?

I squeezed Luke's shoulder. He gave me a smile but it didn't quite reach his eyes. Shit.