Chapter 24

"Take five, boys!"

Sweat had formed on my brow and I had an urge to rub my temples. My body was physically there on the court. Passing balls, running and dribbling. I was doing it all, but at the same time I was somewhere entirely else.

I think coach noticed that.

Kevin, Luke, Evan and the other guys on the team laughed away on the sides. In their ears, 'take five' meant take a break for approximately five minutes. For me it meant some substantial scolding.

I didn't need to look at coach to know that he was throwing daggers at me. I lifted my shoulders in a heavy sigh and made my way over to him, my dragging feat squeaked over the floor.

"Your head's not in the game, Spencer. We're counting on you for this match, don't make us regret that." Even before he rang the whistle I knew that this wouldn't be one of my best practices. It was like I had no control over my thoughts and even though I repeatedly yelled at myself to get it together I didn't listen.

I was fully aware that coach would say something around the lines of that. It still made my stomach turn to hear it out loud.

"I know." My hands were in the forms of fists, pressed tightly to my sides as I looked at coach's stubbly chin, I couldn't quite look him in the eye. I had mad respect for this man, I really didn't want to disappoint him or any of my teammates for that matter.

"If something's wrong you have to talk about it. Don't bring anyone down because your shoulders suddenly feel heavy." Coach's words were sharp and clear. If he said this to me during my first days here on the team then I would probably be slightly taken aback, hurt.

But we all know coach here. He's known for being sharp and he isn't selfish or puts one person above everyone else. He speaks for the team. Just because I'm sour doesn't mean that everyone else should be. He's technically saying, 'leave your personal problems away from the court'. I respect that. He was right after all.

I gave the man a tight nod all while putting my bottom lip between my upper and lower teeth. He grasped my shoulder and gave it a comforting squeeze with a stolid huff. He wasn't one to smile, so I imagined the corner of his lips being turned up to ease my own conscience. Even though they weren't.

"Alright, up and at them!" Coach's shrill order made me flinch due to the proximity. With ringing ears I jogged over to my basketball team.

Get your act together, Spencer.

A small speck of hair curled up into a lock. It defied gravity as I stood on the nape of his neck against all natural odds. Every time he so much as blinked I was sure he would brush his lean fingers through the not so messy hair to fix that one single lock that found itself out of place.

I was never one to be a perfectionist yet my eyes didn't leave the dark chocolate haired male's simple hair placement. I was in a trance, hypnotised and the spell could only be broken if someone opened their mouth or Dominic would just fix that damned lock.

The former was chosen.

"Why're you staring at him?" Kevin's lips were around an energy bar, so how he said that sentence so clearly bewildered me. I shrugged, a mask called 'acting casual' was thrown on me as I leaned over the bench table, the wood hitting my upper back, we were sitting outside.

It felt like it was the first time in years we were bestowed a lovely sunshine that actually gave warmth to our frost bitten bodies.

"Actually, correction. Why have you been staring at him for three days straight?" Fuck Kevin. He's only observant when it brings trouble. Or a lot of questions that I would rather not answer. Why can't I just stare at someone? I'm not hurting anyone.