Chapter 12

Could you find a way to let me down slowly?

A little sympathy, I hope you can show me.

If you wanna go then I'll be so lonely.

If you're leaving baby, let me down slowly...

I strummed the strings, hitting them one by one as I took a spin in my computer chair with guitar in hand. I wasn't in the mood to finish the song therefore ending in the middle of the chorus. My mind was on other things.

MaximumCray hurt someone.

He beat a guy up and I don't know how to feel about that. Is it bad that I don't really care? Is it bad that I don't feel like this is shady stuff and I don't want to block MaximumCray right this instant? I just... Don't care, and that scares me.

I should be scared. I should leave Max in the dust and move on with my life. Yet, here I am. Chatting with him every single day, every chance I get. I'm- or we are acting like he never even said that. Like everything's still like normal.

A soft ping made my phone light up. I stretch my neck to see the screen as it laid on my bed. Looks like a Discord notification but my phone's to far away for me to see what it says. I spin to my computer and move my mouse so I can see the screen.

I grip my guitar so it doesn't fall to the floor. Scout's soft snores filled the still and quiet room.

"What are you up to." Max wrote. Speak of the devil.

I type out my reply with one hand and hold the wooden instrument in the other, accidentally touching the strings as they played a soft tune.

"playin guitar hbu"

"That's funny, I'm playing the piano right now :)" I scoffed, coincidence should be our middle names. I'd change it with Steven any day.

"what song"

"Payphone - Maroon 5" I hummed to myself as I read the message. I remember learning that song.

"i know how to play that song, its good" I said truthfully. Not one of my favourites but it's catchy I'll tell you that.

"Want to play together?" I choked. What. What and what.

"no" Nooooo, why did I say that? Ugh, I blame it on the jitters. I was sure my lip was going to bleed soon because of how much I was biting on it. The heart in my body was hammering against my chest and I wasn't sure where to go. My heel kept bouncing up and down and I felt grateful for Mom as she soundproofed my room when I was in fifth grade. She finally had enough with my constant screaming when I played games.

If she could hear the way I was squealing I wouldn't know what to do. Okay, no. I wasn't squealing but it felt like I was on my way to.

"Awh :("

"i mean yes"

"Which is it?"

"yes yes i wanna play with u"

"Great :)" And then he called. I was so startled by the sudden melody that I nearly dropped my guitar. I stared at the two buttons, the green one and the red one. Can I change my mind?

I don't even- does my voice sound good? Wait what kind of question is that? What if he- I don't even know. Oh, my god. I inhaled sharply and then pressed the button.

Silence.

Oh, dear-lord-heavens-God-hun-what-the-fuck-do-I-do.

I waited for Max to say something. Anything really. But nothing of the sort occurred, instead, a piano started playing. I recognised the soft clinks his fingers gave and the song he was playing was indeed Payphone.