Chapter 13

"Can you pass the ketchup?"

"Uh, what?" I nodded towards the small cup of ketchup in front of Kevin. His eyes turned towards it like he was just figuring out what kind of specimen was in front of him. 

"Sorry, here..." He pushed it towards me with two fingers stretched out, I gave him a look before dipping three fries and plopping them in my mouth. Awkward.

Evan sighed for the 17832274th time, Luke was on his phone and Kevin was staring into space. We're healthy, proper individuals so we went to McDonald's after practice. I thought everyone was just stiff in the beginning because we've just recently come together again but I was so very wrong.

It was weird without the girls here. Or actually, it was weird when the girls were angry at us. Mostly Paige though. I glanced towards Luke who had his legs spread out under the table in front of me. He was pulling the skin around his thumb nail while intently gazing into his phone. His finger wasn't scrolling or anything so I knew he wasn't watching funny pranks on instagram.

My best guess is that he sent a text to Paige and he's now waiting for her to answer. Which won't happen until approximately two weeks have passed. That's how long she was angry last time they had a fight.

How did I know they had a fight for that long? Well, because Luke was staring at his phone like that but for two weeks.

I swallowed my fry together with my dignity. I felt guilty, not just guilty it truly felt like it was my fault. I sunk down into the seat in hope of going through the ground in shame. I pushed the rest of my fries to Luke with a frown.

He raised his brows as he inspected them.

"What's this?"

"Just eat them."

"But-"

"Just. Eat. Them." Luke gave me an odd look, his eyebrow raised. He slowly picked a fry up and nibbled on it while mumbling, "thanks". It felt like there was a question mark by his word though.

I exhaled in relief as I could escape the heavy tension when my phone vibrated in my pocket. A Discord notification.

"How's life?" I wished I could give him a happy reply but I didn't feel like lying at the moment.

"could be better, my buddies are awkward af and its prob cause they feel guilty bout choosing a side" My side. Does that even make any sense?

"That sucks. :( I hope they settle down soon."

"wbu"

"Nothing much." Nothing much? C'mon something has got to be happening in his life.

"dont give me that"

"What?"

"just idk tell me something"

"Like what?" Like what? That's a good question. What do I want to know the most right now? I ripped off some skin on my lips as I thought it over.

"somethin bout yourself"

"Hmmmm. Well, I like playing games (obviously), piano is also nice sometimes. I used to skateboard." I rolled my eyes at him. I already know this, (except the skateboard part but c'mon who haven't skateboarded with their boys before?) give me something else. Something that makes me go, 'oh, so this is Max'. I want to grasp the concept of this person that I've become way to attached to during the spawn of way to little time.

"gosh i already know this give me somethin juicy, somethin personal" He didn't write for a bit. I didn't exactly know what that meant. Did I go to far? Maybe he felt uncomfortable sharing anything to personal. Am I the only one who feels like we're close? I didn't like that thought. As if needing to express my stress I tapped the side of my phone with my finger over and over again. Evan gave me a look but didn't comment and just continued slurping on his soda.

"I don't know what exactly you mean but I could share this. When I was little (maybe like 8 or 9) I had my first kiss with my best friend. We were curious." One corner of my lips turned up at that. That's sounds so unlike cool old Max. I had a hard time imagining him being a little giggly kid.

"i havent said this to anyone except my best friend but since u shared that info i might as well too, when i was 14 this girl i thought was cute said she liked me i panicked and just laughed, she took that as a good sign and went in for the smooch. After we had an awkward kiss she looked at me with a sneer and told me 'never mind'" I sent that message first before writing the second part of it. Poor Max, he has to read all this. But when I start talking about something personal I have a hard time stopping.

"later that day i heard that there were rumours goin round that i was like this legendary kisser or somethin when in reality my first kiss was with that girl i was so embarrassed by it that i never told anyone (except my best friend)" I sighed quietly into my hand and my cheeks flushed slightly. Now that I wrote all that out I couldn't help but be ashamed. I sound so lame.

"lame right"

"No, not at all. When I was 13 I was dared to ask someone out. The person I was asking kept staring at my torso and I was so confused but after they flat out rejected me they also told me before turning away, 'your shirt's inside out.' My friends were all listening and didn't shut up about it after, I felt so humiliated. I laugh at it now of course." It was a good thing he added that last part since I might've laughed into my hand. Kevin gave me a glance.

"sry but i laughed. I might've called my teacher mom...when i was 15"

"AHHAHAHAH sorry but oh, my god. You stop doing that when you're like I don't know 11?"

"stfu"

"Who're you chatting with?" With a 'hm' I raise my head to face Kevin who's been eying me for a while now. Evan was discreet about it at least, but Kevin was full out blowing holes in me.

"No one." I shrugged.

"Bullshit. You've been smiling like Cupid flew by and shot you." I rolled my eyes and shook my head at Kevin while resting my face onto my fist. My heart didn't skip a beat. My heart didn't skip a beat. Nope, no sir.

Luke finally payed attention to something except his phone. The fries I gave him had been eaten up. They didn't help easing my guilt at all. His blue eyes looked at me with some sort of understanding. He probably thinks I'm writing with that person I told him about. Which I am, but I don't like Max. Not at all. He's just fun to be around.

Doesn't liking someone mean butterflies in your stomach, sweaty hands, missing and wanting to talk everyday, blushing, racing heart and being overwhelmingly happy? That doesn't happen to me. I don't like Max, not that way at least.

Evan looked at me too but I couldn't quite read what he was thinking.

"I told you. It's nothing. I was chatting with someone but then I went out and looked at a meme I thought was funny." Smooth.

"Let me see?" What the fuck.

"No." I furrowed my brows and gave my friend a 'what the hell, man' look. He can't just look at my phone! He'll see that I'm lying.

"What do you mean no? I wanna see the meme." Shaking my head I stand up abruptly and press my lip into a firm line. My head burned in irritation.

"Everyone looks pretty done. Let's go." The group was silent. Kevin looked bewildered that I refused to share my screen. He has all the right to be weirded out I mean, we always look at memes together. Damnit, I should've said something more clever. I made a weird hand gesture and soon they were all on their feet. Evan threw away all of the trash and I let them walk ahead of me so I could pull out my phone.

"i need to go. Ttyl <3" I exhaled. Momentarily I wondered if it was normal for two guys to send hearts to each other. That thought lasted only a few seconds as I quickly changed my mindset to, 'who the fuck cares, I felt like it'.

I wanted to send a fucking heart to Max, and in this moment I forced myself to believe that it was okay.

"Yeah. We'll definitely talk later <3 :)" Weirdo.