Chapter 15

The sweat that had formed from my run was washed off by cold fast flowing water. I pressed my eyes shut as I rubbed my face under my shower head.

From behind the door a shrill muffled out bark found my ears and I cursed under my breath.

"They're already here?" I mumbled to no one in particular and began washing up in the speed of lightning. Good thing I brought my clothes in here.

The 24th of December, the "best time of the year" or so some people say.

For me it's the time where all my relatives come to our house. They have a limited vocabulary, no mentioning dead relatives, ex-wives or husbands, Drink some wine or beers, eat something Christmas-y and go home half drunk. Oh, also, I can't chat with Max. No phones allowed. Mom's rules.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

Now I know I sound like a sourpuss or close to the sort. But I wasn't always like this, okay? Back when Dad... Was still around, things like this was the best. He would always bring some life into the dinners. Some laughter, some music, some- anything!

Then shit happened and suddenly Christmas lost all its colours.

A lot of thoughts about my Dad come right on this day. Or actually I think about it every single night but Christmas eve is just one of those days that make it feel like you're smiling with a sword through your chest.

Hence why I was running. To try and clear my head. It worked. A little bit.

I had to rub a towel around in my hair roughly for it to dry quickly. I cringed as I did it, knowing how much it damages your hair. Oh, it's just for one day. 

I slipped on a dark red dress shirt and a pair of black dress pants with a belt. My hair ended up looking like it had way to much gel in it as I ended up rubbing in more and more. I look way to fancy for this. 

"Spencer?" I heard Mom calling from the kitchen. She's looking for me.

I groaned and swept my hand in my hair and messed it up a bit so it looked like I was going for a messy cool look. I actually look fine?

I rushed out after giving myself a once over in the mirror. Mom stood in the kitchen with a beautiful sheath dress that hugged her right. Her eyebrows rose when she noticed me coming.

Aunt Vanessa had arrived early it seemed. Her hazel eyes looked me up and down before eventually giving me a short lived smile.

We never really clicked.

"Aunt Vanessa. Hi." I awkwardly said. I'm not really that good with talking politely, I don't know if anyone's noticed.

"Please, just Vanessa. How're you Spencer?" I pushed my hands into my pockets while giving her a nod.

"I'm good. A little hungry. How're you?"

"Fine, thanks." She smacked her lips and turned towards Mom and began talking about whatever they were talking about. I wasn't really listening, sounded like something about politics though. Boring.

You know what isn't boring? Max.

I turned on my heel towards the stairs since I obviously wasn't very included here. My hand managed to grasp the stair railing before Mom called for me. Again.

"Spencer, honey. Can you take out the meat from the freezer?" Do it yourself.

"Sure."

I tried to act as casual as possible while my legs swept the floor like the frickin' flash. I threw the meat out on the kitchen counter and then dashed up. The sooner I get to my room the more I'll be able to talk with Max.