Prologue

<Quick explanation. This prologue will be in 3rd person POV while the rest of the story will be in 1st person POV>

A little Outcast girl awoke to the singing of Terrible Terrors outside her window. It was a beautiful sound. She crawled out of bed, her small, barefoot feet landing on the wooden floor, the hem of her nightgown falling to her ankles. The young girl made her way to the window, having to stand on her tip-toes to open it before grabbing a small stack of books to stand on so she may look out across her village. It was small and mostly filled with men, but it was home. As she looked out upon the village, her chin resting on her crossed arms that sat on her windowsill, she noticed a Terrible Terror fly down to her open window, landing none too gracefully on the windowsill next to her. 

"Good morning, young one!" the Terror chirped, nuzzling the girls cheek. She giggled, petting the Terror between it's horn. 

"Morning, Miss Dusty." Before the Terror good day more, a call from down the stairs, met their ears. 

"Melia. Are you awake up there?" The young girl jumped in surprise, promptly shoving the Terror named "Miss Dusty" off the windowsill and out the window, Melia mentally apologizing to her poor friend as she watched the Terror fly onto another roof, the sound of heavy footsteps coming up the stairs thudding outside her door. "Melia, are you... Oh..." The little girl turned to see her father standing in the doorway, his eyes on her. "So you are awake." 

"Yes, daddy. I was looking out the window." Melia could see a smile appear on her father's face through his large black beard. 

"I can see that." She turned away from her father staring out the window. She could hear her father walk into the room, his heavy footsteps approaching her. Melia looked up as her father came up beside her to look out the window as well. She could see sorrow in his eyes and she was almost certain she knew why. 

"I'm sorry, daddy. I didn't mean to scare you yesterday." the young Outcast said, making her father glance down at her. "I just wanted to play." 

"I know, Meli, but you could've seriously gotten hurt. Dragon island is a dangerous place for a seven year old." Her father ruffled her hair before walking back to the doorway. Melia watched as her father hesitated in the doorway. "Get dressed. I want to teach you how to do some stuff on the docks. Pack anything you think you'll need since we'll be there all day." Her eyes brightened, as she watched her father close the door behind himself. He never let her come down to the docks. Quickly, Melia changed into a pale purple tunic and brown pants before packing her satchel with anything she thought she might need. This included, a couple of notebooks, two charcoal pencils, and some sketches she'd drawn of dragons on the island. Melia ran for the door, slipping on her boots as she opened it, running down the stairs twos and threes at a time. "Woah! Calm down there, Meli. You'll hurt yourself." 

"Sorry, daddy!" Melia apologized, grabbing an apple off the table which she stuffed in her satchel before trotting over to the door, patiently waiting for her father to put on his helmet and boots. Oh, who was she kidding. There was no patience in Melia! "Hurry up, daddy!" Melia whined, bouncing on her heels. Her father laughed at her impatience, coming over to hold her hand as he opened the door. He had always held her hand when they went walking in the village. It was almost like by him holding her hand, nothing bad would happen to her. Which was, of course, not true. Melia had tripped or stubbed her toe plenty of times while holding his hand. They made their way quickly down to the docks, her father walking so fast it seemed like he wanted to get to the docks before anyone one else woke up. Melia brushes it off as him just wanted to get to work right away. They arrived to the docks in no time thanks to her father's brisk pace, her father promptly releasing her hand as soon as they were right in front of one of the fishing boats. Her father took the plank the sat on the docks and propped it against the boat, gesturing for Melia to climb aboard first. 

"I'll be right along. Just have to check somethings down here. You go on up and check to see if there's any cargo below deck. I believe the men that went out yesterday left some crates behind." Melia nodded, climbing the plank with both her feet and hands before hopping down onto the deck. She ran down the stairs leading below deck. It was just as her father had said. The men had left some crates behind. Melia looked over the crates, looking through the supplies inside each one. There was some crates with fish and other crates filled with a whole bunch of other stuff. As she looked through the crates, something sitting in the corner of the ship's lower deck caught her eye. Melia turned, seeing a large egg in the corner of the room. It was a pale blue with dark blue spots adorning its shell. Melia sat on her knees beside it, pressing her ear to its shell before softly tapping. A noise came from inside, making her smile. Melia was about to call for her father to come and see what she found when the boat rocked forward, the egg slightly rolling into her. She steadied it with her hands, grabbing a blanket from a nearby crate to make a makeshift blanket nest around it before running up to the main deck to see what was going on. When she got to the main deck, she was shocked. The boat was moving. But why? Wasn't the boat supposed to be tied to the dock? Melia's blood ran cold as she ran to the back of the boat, the docks shrinking every second she got farther away. She could see her father standing at the edge of the docks, watching as she sailed away. 

"Daddy!" Melia called, tears pricking the corners of her eyes. Her father didn't call back. He only turned, starting the trek back to the village. "No, daddy! Don't leave me, please!" Melia cried, reaching out a hand as if she could just grab him. He stopped, and for a brief moment, a spark of hope bloomed in Melia, a hope that her father would realize his mistake and come and retrieve her. He didn't turn though. He continued walking, crushing the small bit of hope Melia had just seconds ago. She grasped the railing, tears streaming down her cheeks as she stared after him. "Daddy..."

<Hope you enjoyed this Prologue. For all new reader, this prologue wasn't originally here, but I like the idea of this in the beginning than my poorly done introduction. This prologue is like a flashback into the main character's life. I hope you enjoy this and the rest of this book! And to all my current readers, I hope you like this change to the stories beginning. Au Revoir!>