Chapter 8

Sting cried out in pain as a dragon proof metal dragon trap clamped down on his leg. 

"Sting!" I exclaimed, running over to the Speed Stinger. Viggo was sitting on the ground, staring at the dragon, utterly shocked. I fell to my knees in front of the dragon. "It's okay. Everything will be alright. Just hang on." I said soothingly, putting my palm on his head. I turned my head towards the hunter, locking eyes with him. "Please. Help him." I pleaded. Viggo looked at the dragon carefully as he stood up, walking over to inspect the trap. Sting whimpered in pain, his eyes scrunched shut. 

"It hurts!" Sting whined. 

"I know. Just hang on." I soothed, rubbing his snout as I turned to look at Viggo. 

"It's not that deep. We'll need to get the trap to let go of his leg." Viggo explained, looking at me. "Hold his tail down while I remove the trap." Viggo ordered. I didn't trust him and I wanted to tell him as much, but Sting's whimpering brought me to my senses. I quickly held Sting's tail to the ground and watched as Viggo tried to pry the trap open. When I thought it was wide enough, I tapped Sting's scales and he carefully moved his leg out from between the trap before it snapped shut again. I released Sting's tail and inspected his leg. Viggo had been right when he said the damage wasn't that deep. Sting being only a few months old, he was smaller than a full grown Speed Stinger. Careful not to cause Sting anymore pain, I collected him in my arms and picked him up, Sting wrapping his tail around my arm, careful not to prick me with the barb at the end of his tail. Viggo stood up, watching me curiously with his hands behind his back. I started walking towards the cave, but stopped and turned when I didn't hear Viggo's footsteps behind me. 

"You coming?" I asked. He smirked before following me.