Chapter 44

After the trade routes were back up, things went back to normal, but of course that time of year had come again. The midnight sun. Two weeks of constant sunlight. Over the years, I had learned that lots of people had different reactions while the dragons were unaffected. I however had a reoccurring symptom from sleep deprivation. Ever year, when the second week of the midnight sun started, I became very irritated with dragons. Who am I kidding? I yell at every little thing a dragon does, even if it's just sitting around doing nothing. Luckily, this year, Hiccup had sent us to the Edge to wash our dragons. Easy enough. Unless you're effected by sleep deprivation during the midnight sun. So far, I was staying sane and had been able to wash Lilac easily. Now, I was just sitting back and watching the others struggle with washing their dragons. 

"No!" Heather exclaimed, tripping over her own feet making her fall on Windshear, splashing water over the both of them. 

"Uh, been trying to wash that dragon all day. Poor thing." 

"So tired, she can't see straight." The Twins had been babbling for a while about different symptoms of insomnia. You would honestly think they were sleep deprived had it not been for this being their usual. Suddenly, Astrid flew in on Stormfly acting all cheery and what not. In all honesty, it kind of scared me. 

"Ah, hello, everyone. What a glorious day to groom our amazing dragons." 

"Technically, I think it's night." Fishlegs corrected. 

"Well, then what a glorious night." 

"What's going on with her? She's not this nice, ever." Snotlout commented. 

"Put a sssock in it SSSnotlout! Anyone can be happy. Even Assstrid." Storm snapped at her brother, her words slurring like she'd had too much ale. 

"Uncontrollable euphoria. Classic sleep deprivation symptom." Tuff explained. 

"And you know this how?" Fishlegs asked. 

"Uncle Gorstaag. He had insomnia for 27 years." 

"Yeah, we're experts in the field." the Twins explained. 

"Well, that isinteresting." I remarked, slightly impressed at their insight in the matter. 

"Astrid, have you slept recently?" Fishlegs asked. 

"Nope. Not a wink. But I feel so amazing. It's like I have wings. I feel so good. I feel so good!" Astrid remarked, excitement evident in her voice. 

"We're not all gonna get like this, are we?" 

"Definitely not." I remarked, eyeing Astrid with concern. 

"Sleep deprivation is a multifaceted disorder." 

"Multifaceted, lots of facets, wide array of symptoms." 

"Yeah, take Heather. For her, it's lack of coordination." the Twins explained, all of us turning to look at Heather as she fell again. "Yup, there she goes. But it could be anything from mood swings to complete catatonia, you know, cold ankles. A rash around your neck that extends down your back to your buttocks." Tuff continued. Suddenly, Snotlout burst into a lovey dovey affection speech to Hookfang which turned into a Dagur type laugh which immediately switched to crying while begging for his mother. "Like I said, mood swings. Now, there are other symptoms." 

"I agree." I cut in. "Storm is going through a drunken state and possibly, if I know my best friend at all, she'll be more angry and more violent than usual." 

"Yeah. Not only that, but Uncle Gorstaag. He got totally paranoid." Ruff continued. 

"Really? Paranoid?" Fishlegs asked. Both myself and the Twins glanced at Fishlegs in an expectant manner. "Why are you all looking at me like that? Don't look at me. There's nothing to see here. Walk away. Walk away. Just walk away." I rolled my eyes at him. 

"Could've predicted that one." 

"Yeah, still gonna be fun to watch though." 

"Luckily, our Thorston constitution makes us immune." I raised an eyebrow as I glanced up at the Twins. 

"You guys do realize dragons are the only immune ones. Right?"

"Does that make you immune then?" Tuff asked. I rolled my eyes. 

"I only act like a dragon guys. However, my symptom is recurring." 

"What do you mean?" 

"Every year, during the midnight sun, I have the same symptom. I feel really bad about it too." 

"You shouldn't. We all know it's sleep deprivation." Lilac reassured. 

"What's your symptom then?" I hesitated before taking a deep breath. 

"Every year, I... grow angrier than I should towards... dragons." I confessed. The Twins exchanged glances. 

"That sounds like the exact opposite of who you are, Melia." Ruff commented. 

"Yeah. Thank you for pointing out the obvious." I replied sarcastically, a bitter edge to my voice. I stopped leaning against Lilacs side and glanced down at her as I said, "Keep an eye on everyone while I'm gone, Lilac." 

"Where are you going?" Tuff asked as I started to make my way to my hut from the arena. 

"Away from you lot."

<So this is the amazing and insane start of the Midnight Sun episode in this amazing story. I'm not sure if it's clear, so I'm going to be explaining what exactly Melia and Storm's sleep deprivation symptoms are. 

Melia gets mad at every little thing dragons do and yells at them for no reason at all. Luckily, the dragons don't take offense because they know it isn't personal. It's just the lack of sleep. 

Storm acts drunk and is even more pissed at Snotlout than she usually is.

Hope y'all are enjoying so far. Arrivederci!>