Chapter 42

I woke with a start to someone kicking me followed by a crash and someone saying 

"Ouch!" Sitting up, I glance at the idiotic male sprawled out on the ground close by. 

"Snotlout, you idiot. Watch where you're walking!" Storm scolded him as he sat up, fixing his helmet while he turned to glare at Storm. 

"It's not like I knew someone was going to be sleeping on the floor." 

"Hey! There was only two cots in here. Storm is snippy when she's tired and there was no way I was bunking with you." I argued, grabbing my satchel and shoving it under Storm's cot nonchalantly. 

"When did you even get here?" Snotlout asked, directing his attention towards me. 

"Last night. I got a T-Mail from Hiccup saying that the Defenders of the Wing were having problems with an area called the Northern Markets. I thought I'd come here and check how everything was going." 

"Well, if Snotlout survives his final challenge, he'll become the Defenders of the Wing's new king." Storm informed. I stared wide-eyed at Snotlout. 

"Seriously?!" Snotlout stood and puffed out his chest in pride, confirming Storm's words. "Thor almighty. I pity Queen Mala." Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. Storm stood and walked over to the door, opening it to reveal a tall man with red hair. 

"Morning, Throk." Storm greeted the man. 

"Good morning, Storm Jorgenson. Queen Mala wanted me to come inform your brother that his final trial will occur soon." 

"Wow, Storm. Full name basis?" Storm turned towards me, rolling her eyes as Throk's attention went to me. 

"Who are you?" I picked myself up off the ground and walked over to join Storm at the door. 

"I'm Melia." 

"She's a dragon rider." Storm added quickly. 

"I do not remember seeing you yesterday." Throk commented, narrowing his eyes in suspicion. 

"I arrived last night." I explained. Throk stood there for a moment before nodding in acceptance. Snotlout pushed past me and Storm, motioning for Throk to lead him where ever they were going. "I'm going to change my tunic before I join." 

"I'll wait out here." Storm said, closing the door behind her. I quickly walked over to my satchel, dug out the purple sleeveless tunic I had packed, changed out of my black long-sleeved tunic and into the purple one, stuffing the black tunic into my satchel before shoving it back under the cot Storm had slept on. When I was done, I exited the hut and followed Storm to where the final trial was to be held. When we entered the village square, I noticed Hiccup and Heather had just arrived. I waved at them when Hiccup glanced my way before joining Storm at Snotlout's side. 

"All right, Throkie. What do ya got? Man-eating killer boars? Spiders? Whispering Death? Screaming Death? Whatever it is, I'm ready." Snotlout stated, stretching. 

"Doubt it." Storm muttered, myself giggling beside her. 

"Nothing so treacherous, Snotlout Jorgenson." Throk remarked, pointing a bow and arrow at Queen Mala who was sitting calmly on a throne. 

"Be careful, Throk. You let that loose and you could accidentally kill your queen." Storm warned. 

"That's why Snotlout will be taking the arrow for her. Your final test. Race to Queen Mala and allow this arrow to pierce your flesh instead of hers. If you survive, you will be her king. If not..." Storm and I exchanged concerned looks. 

"We need to do something." Storm whispered in a worried tone. I glanced around catching sight of the Eruptodon, Toothless, and Windshear. Just as Snotlout started to jump in front of Mala, I let out a shrill whistle to Toothless. Hiccup's Night Fury let out a plasma blast, startling the Eruptodon. It was obvious that had distracted Throk because when the arrow was fired, it missed both Snotlout and Mala. Both Storm and I let out a breath of relief as Mala caught the arrow before it embedded itself into the stone behind her. 

"Wha-What happened?" Snotlout asked. 

"It's over." 

"Did I win?" 

"No, Snotlout, unfortunately not." 

"So, am I king?" Snotlout asked, getting to his feet. "I mean, that wasn't my fault. He's a lousy shot." 

"Snotlout!" Storm scolded. 

"We do not take into account the reason for failure, only that it occurred." Mala explained. 

"What? You mean, I walk on lava, fought giant eels and I lose because this guy can't shoot straight?" Snotlout complains. 

"Yes. If it's any consolation, I am equally as crestfallen." 

"Honestly, I feel like she should feel lucky." I whispered to Storm, earning an elbow to my side. 

"I guess that helps a little bit." 

"Come, Snotlout. For your bravery and valor, tonight you will be my guest of honor." Mala remarked. 

"King for a day. Not bad, Snotlout." Fishlegs commented. Suddenly, Snotlout stepped forward and pointed at Fishlegs while saying, 

"Off with his head." 

"Snotlout!" Both Storm and I exclaimed. 

"I'm kidding. Or am I? Who knows? Let's eat!" Storm and I rolled our eyes at Snotlout as we followed the group. In the middle of a conversation Storm and I were having, I felt someone tap my shoulder. I turned to see none other than Queen Mala. 

"Queen Mala, right? I'm Melia." I greeted with a smile. 

"Just Mala is fine. Throk informed me that you were a dragon rider." I nodded. "It's very nice to meet you then, Melia."