Chapter 22

"What you did was reckless and stupid, Melia!" Hiccup scolded as I pet Lilac's snout. I had gotten back from the hunters' base at dawn to find Hiccup and Astrid waiting for me on the landing deck, Toothless and Lilac standing with them. 

"Hiccup, it was just an arrow in my leg. Astrid got a similar injury just the other day and you didn't scold her." I countered. 

"I wasn't spying on the hunters." Astrid argued. 

"Either way, I helped you guys get into the island." 

"Technically, I cleared the way." Lilac roared. 

"Yes. Yes you did. That's not the point though." 

"What is the point?" Hiccup asked. 

"The point is that we got the Eruptodon back to where it belongs." 

"At what cost? You could've gotten caught or worse killed!" Hiccup exclaimed. 

"If Ryker even tries to kill me, I'll cut his hands off." 

"Who said Ryker would be the one to try to kill you? What about Viggo?" Astrid asked. 

"I highly doubt that will happen." 

"How can you be so sure?" I thought back to the kiss Viggo and I had shared on the ship. I couldn't tell them the truth. They wouldn't understand. 

"I... I've been able to fool him into... trusting me." I explained. 

"Trust you? Viggo Grimborn?" Hiccup asked in disbelief. 

"We are talking about the same person, right?" Astrid asked with a similar tone. I sighed. 

"Listen, guys. You just have to trust me. I have this handled. If anything gets to hectic, I'll get out of there. I know what happened to Heather when she got caught, so I know what the consequences will lead to." Hiccup and Astrid stayed silent for a bit. I turned to look out at the horizon, the sun slowly rising over the ocean, the water looking like molten lava while the sky turned vibrant colors of yellow, orange, and red. "Well, I'm going to get some sleep." I said, turning to walk towards my hut, Lilac bounding ahead of me. I paused on the step that led up to the clubhouse deck and turned slightly to look at Hiccup before adding, "And tell Snotlout that I'll willingly take the night patrol tonight." I then turned and walked off.