Chapter 12

Today had been a long day and a strange one too. First, I thought I saw Heather, Astrid, and Storm disappear around a corner only for no one to be there when I tried to follow. Then, I had to go check on a Speed Stinger that had called out in distress only to find it alone, but slightly shaken. After a while, I came to accept that I was going insane today and decided to do one of the few things I did best. Lock picking. I searched close to the forest's edge for an empty cage. Finally, I found one with a canvas covering it. I quickly pulled my dagger out of its sheath which was hidden in my boot and kneeled in front of the lock clasping the cage's door closed before sticking the sharp tip of the dagger into the lock. As I focused on picking the lock, I noticed that the lock didn't look like the others. The designs on the dragon proof metal were different and as I listened to the mechanisms inside the lock click over and over again it sounded different as well. Picking the lock took a lot longer than I thought, but I was just about finished unlocking it when a twig snapped behind me. With immense speed, I pulled the dagger out of the lock, swiped my feet under the person, knocking their legs out from under them, and held them down, my dagger to their throat. My eyes widened when I realized who it was. 

"Viggo! Thor all mighty, don't sneak up on me like that!" I scolded, moving my dagger away from his throat, helping him to his feet. 

"My apologies. I was merely curious as to what you were up to." Viggo explained. 

"I was practicing picking locks with an empty cage. I've just about finished." I stated, banging my fist against the cage, causing the lock to fall to the ground, unclasped. 

"Impressive." Viggo praised, kneeling down to pick up the lock, "This is one of our newest locks too." 

"I thought it looked different from the others." I remarked, "Anyway, did you need something?" 

"Yes. The bidding is about to begin, so I thought I'd come find you." Viggo explained. 

"Well, what are we standing around for. Lead the way." I responded. He gave a brief nod and turned, walking towards the area where the bidding would be, myself keeping a constant pace at his side. As we walked, I noticed Viggo look at a few of the caged dragons with a sad look on his face. "Viggo, are you okay." I asked. Viggo turned to look at me, a feeling of hurt flashing through his eyes before he went back to his usual calm and calculated expression. 

"Of course. Why do you ask?" Viggo answered. I waited for a moment, almost expecting to see that feeling of hurt or sadness in his eyes again, but there was nothing. 

"It's nothing. Forget I even asked." I reassured. The two of us continued walking in silence, but I would never forget that look of vulnerability I witnessed just moments ago.