Chapter 61

Two days. That's how long it'd been since I had overheard Ryker's plan. I had tried so hard to tell Viggo, but every time he was either with Ryker, another hunter, or just couldn't be found. Finally, I had just decided to send Viggo a Terror Mail telling him to meet me on a cliff that sat above the docks. I had told him to meet me at sunset, sending the Terror Mail at noon time. 

"Melia, will you stop pacing. Everything will be fine." Leafblender said, trying to reassure me. I wasn't reassured though. I was flat out panicking. 

"I can't. What if Ryker got the letter instead of Viggo? What if Ryker's already killed him? I haven't seen him since this morning. No, I saw him at the docks a couple hours before coming up here." 

"Melia. You're ranting." I stopped pacing and turned towards Leafblender. 

"You're right, Leafblender." But as I glanced out over the horizon, watching the last of the sun's rays sink below the ocean, I became worried. Viggo was never late. "C'mon. Let's go to Viggo's tent. Maybe I am just overreacting and he passed out pouring over work... again." I jumped skillfully down rock ledges on the cliff's face, landing gracefully on the path below. Leafblender glided down, landing not as gracefully beside me. "Wing still hurts?" I asked, eyeing his bandages as we walked. He hadn't been able to fly since he'd gotten the arrow wound. I knew it was a vulnerable spot, but I expected it to heal faster. 

"I'll be fine. Let's just focus on finding your rogue boyfriend." I rolled my eyes at him before stopping abruptly, almost colliding with Axel. 

"Sorry, Axel." I apologized, growing confused at his worried look. "Is everything okay?" 

"Yeah... I mean... I think?" 

"You think?" Axel rubbed the back of his neck, glancing down into the pit Viggo's tent sat. I followed his gaze, catching sight of two hunters standing guard outside. "What's going on?" 

"I don't know. When I asked, they said Ryker and Viggo were having a meeting and no one was allowed to interrupt." I grew worried. 

"Stay here with Leafblender. I'm gonna go check it out." Axel glanced at Leafblender nervously. He still wasn't used to being so close to a dragon that wasn't in a cage or in chains. I rolled my eyes at him, taking his hand into mine before holding it out for Leafblender. Axel stiffened as Leafblender got closer, the Changewing sniffing his palm. Axel squeezed his eyes shut, probably thinking Leafblender was gonna hurt him. "Calm yourself, Axel. Leafblender will do you no harm." Just as I said those words, Leafblender pressed his snout to Axel's palm, calming the anxious hunter. "I'll be back soon. Keep to the shadows, both of you. Don't draw any attention to yourself." With that, Leafblender grabbed Axel by the sleeve, pulling him towards a small cave with which he hid by covering the entrance with his body, cloaking so that himself and Axel were hidden. I sighed, turning towards the tent. "No turning back now." I made my way down the winding path all the way to Viggo's tent. I approached the hunters standing before the tent and was about to walk passed them when one of them held up their arm, blocking my path. "What's the meaning of this? I wish to speak to Viggo." 

"No one is allowed into the tent at the moment." I hesitated before speaking, immediately recognizing the hunter's voice as one of the hunters Ryker had spoken to. 

"By whose orders?" I snapped, glaring at the hunter. 

"Ryker's." the hunter whose voice had belonged to another of Ryker's hunters said. I growled them, glaring daggers at each of them. Suddenly, the tent's flaps moved, my gaze turning to them, hoping it would be Viggo or both of the Grimborn brothers at that. I lost that hope when Ryker stepped out of the tent, Viggo no where to be seen.