Chapter 57

All the hunter ships had returned. All t Uhh hunters were working on making sure everything was in place for when the project was done. Viggo had wanted me to oversee some of the progress with Ryker. Only problem was, Ryker didn't exactly want to do this with me, so we separated and oversaw stuff on our own terms. 

 "Melia, c'mere! I need you to help me with something." Axel called from working on the base of the project. I broke away from the hunter I'd been talking to and jogged over, helping Axel with the sheet of dragon proof metal he was adding. "Can't believe Viggo is having us use so much dragon proof metal on this thing." Axel complained, hammering a bolt into place. 

"It is quite excessive, but he wants to succeed. You can't blame him after everything the riders have done to his previous plans." I argued, hammering in the bolt on my side. 

"Yeah. I see your point." Suddenly, Viggo called out to everyone, saying, 

"My fellow hunters." Axel and I walked over to where the other hunters had grouped. "In the very near future, the dragon riders will be but a distant memory." I glanced around as hunters cheered. It was all for show. Viggo wouldn't actually kill the dragon riders as he seemed to have convinced his men he would. However, in that moment, I paused. Was it possible Viggo would actually get rid of the dragon riders to get what he wanted? I shook my head, drawing myself out of my thoughts and back to Viggo's speech. "However, time is unfortunately not on our side. Thus, it is imperative that we complete Project Shellfire in a timely manner. Only then will we reclaim the seas and shores that by all rights belong to us!" I clapped as the hunters around me cheered once more before dispersing on Ryker's command. 

"I'll catch up with you later, Axel. Have to check in with Ryker." 

"Yes, ma'am." Axel replied, sending me a mock salute before heading back to his work. I shook my head, grinning at his stupid antics. Turning, I made my way towards Ryker, only pausing when I thought I heard Tuffnut's voice among the crowd saying something about Macey. 

"What's wrong with you?" Ryker asked as he stepped up beside me. 

"Nothing. Just thought I'd heard something." I answered looking up at him. He rolled his eyes at me. 

"Whatever, Pest. Go check in with Viggo. He'll want to speak with you about the plans more for sure." 

"Yeah, yeah. On my way." I waved him off, making my way towards Viggo who seemed to have already come down into the pit. 

"Ahhh, there you are." Viggo remarked upon spotting me. 

"Aww. You were looking for me? How sweet." I teased, making him grin. Viggo wrapped an arm around my shoulders and started walking. 

"Do you still have your copy of the plans?" 

"My copy? There's more than one?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him. 

"I believed it useful to have two copies of the plans, just incase one was lost." 

"You mean, incase the riders got their hands on it." I corrected, grinning at him. Viggo chuckled, shaking his head at me. 

"You are a bright one." Viggo commented, earning a smirk from me. 

"Was there any doubt?" 

"Never, my dear." Viggo reassured, kissing me on the top of my head. I leaned into Viggo a little. Suddenly, something shiny caught my eye. I stopped walking and turned, seeing a hunter with a mace in his hands. No... Not just any mace. 

"Macey?" 

"I beg your pardon?" Viggo asked, turning towards me with a raised eyebrow. 

"The Gronckle iron mace that hunter's holding. It belongs to Tuffnut, one of the Twins." Viggo followed my gaze, narrowing his eyes at the hunter who had just put down Macey. 

"Come. Let's investigate." Viggo remarked, walking towards the hunter. I followed close behind making sure my hood was up as I came up on his left, watching as he picked up Macey. "Where did you get this mace?" Viggo asked the hunter. A bit of movement to my left made me turn, surprising me when I found a skinny hunter standing there like Starfire when Storm caught her doing something bad. Suddenly, he picked up a plate of fish bones and stuck it in the mouth of his helmet, cackling strangely. I stared at him incredulously, raising an eyebrow before turning back towards the hunter as he answered Viggo. 

"I took it from a dragon rider I defeated." Viggo glanced down at me, the hunter following his gaze, stiffening as I crossed my arms and fixed him with a stern look. Was he really that dense? "Uh. I'm sorry. You're right. I stole it from two hunters who took it from a dragon rider." the hunter confessed. 

"Which two hunters?" 

"A pair of twins with blonde hair. Both really skinny guys. Or I suppose they could have been girls." Viggo glanced down at me and I nodded to him, confirming his beliefs. The Twins were here. 

<Well, it seems Melia's having some doubts about her boyfriend her. Wonder how that'll end. You guys are the best readers I could ever asked for! Keep being great people in the new year! Happy New Year everyone!>