Chapter 53

"I... I'm sorry, Mala, I think I misheard you... Did you just say Lilac and I would be the ones taking the egg?" I asked, shaking off my shock. I must have heard her wrong. Right? 

"You heard me correctly, Melia. You and your Night Fury will be delivering the egg to its ancestral nesting site." Apparently, I was wrong. I had heard her right. 

"But... Queen Mala, I appreciate the thought, but... wouldn't you rather have one of the other riders take the egg?" 

"Melia, Mala chose you to take the egg." Fishlegs argued. 

"Besides. You probably love dragons more than anyone. No offense, Hiccup. Fishlegs." 

"No. I agree, Storm. Melia does love dragons." Hiccup agreed. I thought for a moment. They were right. Dragons were my family. I'd do anything for them. I turned my gaze back to the cavern entrance. The lava was rising and soon, the cavern would be closed off. If I didn't do this, the hatchling within the egg would surely die. I took a deep breath and turned back, facing Mala and Throk. 

"Queen Mala, from one friend of dragons to another, I promise you that your Eruptodon will have an heir." I promised, placing a hand over my heart. Mala smiled. 

"I believe you. Now, come. Myself and your friend Storm shall help you prepare." I nodded, Storm and I following Mala quickly down to the village. Once we were inside one of the many huts, Mala dug into a chest, pulling a set of what seemed to be black leather armor.  "Here. Put this on." I did as I was told, changing into the leather armor with ease. "Our armor is coated with a layer of heat-resistant Eruptodon saliva. It should help protect against the effects of the volcano." 

"Fascinating." 

"Gross!" Storm and I said at the same time. 

"Now, all we need is Lilac and the egg." I remarked, exiting the hut with my satchel hanging around my shoulders. Mala, Storm, and I walked back to where the egg's pedestal was. Lilac glanced up at us from where she lay, curled protectively around the pedestal. 

"Woah! Cool armor!" Lilac exclaimed as she stood, walking over to study my new attire. 

"Thanks, Lilac." I glanced up at the egg, watching as Mala placed it into a satchel she was carrying. Once Mala had the egg in her possession, we all made our way quickly back to the volcano. The rest of the riders turned to us as we approached, Throk stepping up to speak to me. 

"The sacred cavern is located on the south side of the volcano's interior. May the spirits of our fallen warriors guide your wings, Melia the Merciful." 

"Thank you, Throk." I stared, mounting Lilac. "Alright. Now, I guess all I need is the egg." I turned to Mala only to see she was gripping the strap of the satchel firmly. 

"The egg is my responsibility. I'm going with you." she replied firmly when she saw my questioning look. Throk turned to her in surprise. 

"My queen, let me go instead." 

"No, Throk. A queen must always be willing to risk her life for her people." Mala argued.

 "Mala, I won't stop you if you wish to accompany me, but you must be absolutely sure that you want to do this. It could be dangerous." Mala turned to me, nodding before mounting Lilac behind me. "Alright, Lilac. Let's go."

<OH THOR!!! I'm so, so, SOOOOOO sorry everyone!!! I know this chapter is SUPER LATE and that is COMPLETELY ON ME! School, work, and a whole bunch of other stuff that's a major priority for me, so it may take me a while to post chapters. Again, so sorry!>