Chapter 60

I lay snuggled up against Leafblender's side. Project Shellfire was finally complete and we were on our way back to the hunter base using the new project and a few ships. Viggo, Ryker, and myself had all boarded Project Shellfire, Axel and another hunter making sure Leafblender was brought aboard as well, leaving him in a cell with its door left open. I decided to stay with him so he wouldn't have to suffer alone. My eyes fluttered open slightly, sleep still clinging to my eyelids from the nap I'd just slipped out of. Leafblender's soft snores told me he had also dozed off. I grinned as I stared up at his sleeping face before laying back down, closing my eyes in hopes of falling asleep once more. 

"What are you saying, Ryker?" My eyes snapped open as I listened. 

"I'm saying that pest has made my brother soft." I heard Ryker growl. 

"I have to admit, ever since that rider joined our ranks, she put some kind of spell on Viggo." the voice from before agreed. 

"You saying she knows witchcraft?" A second voice asked. 

"No. What she does is more like demon's work." A third argued, "Have you seen how easily she gets the scaly beasts to do what she says?" I lay still, an amused smirk adorning my face. Did they really think I was some unnatural creature with the ability to enchant others? 

"Whatever she is, she's messing with the plans. Viggo's questioning whether or not we should go through with it!" 

"Perhaps we could just get rid of her." I froze at the second hunter's suggestion.

 "As much as I would like to be rid of the pest, it won't stop Viggo from letting this drag on. He enjoys having someone challenge his smarts too much to give it up." Ryker's voice argued. 

"Then, what are you suggesting, Ryker?" Silence followed the third hunter's question. I shifted carefully, focusing hard on the silence, waiting for Ryker's reply. 

"If we are to succeed in ridding our lives of anymore complications, we will have to dispose of my brother as well as the dragon riders." My blood ran cold. Was Ryker that willing to succeed that he'd kill his own blood? I stayed quiet as I heard to pairs of footsteps go past the cell door. The other hunters hadn't even argued. "I want you to get word to as many hunters as you can of our plans." 

"And what of the ones that don't agree?" It was the first hunter's voice that asked the question. 

"Well... We'll just have to get rid of them before they can get word of our plans to the pest or Viggo." That was the last thing I heard before the pair went in different directions, the pair of footsteps walking past the cell door being recognizably Ryker's. I froze, squeezing my eyes shut and holding my breath when he stopped just in front of the cell. I was worried he'd walk in and find me on the other side of Leafblender's sleeping form only to kill me that much sooner. I flinched when the cell door slammed shut instead, trembling as Ryker's footsteps echoed down the hall, only letting out a shaky breath when his footsteps had faded into nothing. 

<Oh dear. It seems Melia has overheard something she shouldn't have overheard. Next time Ryker, try plotting somewhere that the one you loath wouldn't go. Before I end this chapter I want to update you all on something I came up with earlier today. I'm planning to start each book with a flashback into a past event that has something to do with Melia's life. This means that I will be changing the introduction of this book into something entirely different. So I suggest y'all keep your eyes out for that! Bye, bye my friends!>