Chapter 43

Weeks had past since the events at the Northern Markets. I had decided to fly with Lilac to the island where Sting was to check up on his leg. We were there for a few days, checking to make sure he could run and hunt on his own, stuff like that. On the last day of our visit, when we were flying back to the Edge, we came across a familiar family of Scauldrons. They seemed quite spooked, so Lilac and I went down to check up on them. 

"Bubbles. What's wrong? Why do you guys look so distressed?" I asked as Lilac hovered over them. 

"We were swimming in the Straits and it had almost gotten Seashell." Bubbles remarked, turning his attention to Jade who was trying to comfort her scared little hatchling. 

"It was horrible and the smell was horrendous!" Jade exclaimed. 

"Seashell, what almost got you?" 

"At first, I had thought it was a normal whirlpool, but the smell... I was so scared it was going to eat me." 

"What was going to eat you?" 

"It was a... a Submaripper." Bubbles informed, swimming over to join his mate and hatchling. 

"A Submaripper? In the Straits?" Lilac asked. 

"The waters of the Straits are too narrow though. Why would it be there?" 

"We didn't get to ask. We were too busy trying to escape." 

"I think I saw chains holding it in place." Jade informed. 

"Chains?" I thought for a moment before realization hit me. "Viggo must have chained the Submaripper in the Straits." 

"Why? What would he have to gain from that?" 

"All merchants going to Berk and other islands near it have to go through the Straits." I remarked, thinking more about it. "The riders would have no choice, but to free the Submaripper in order to let the merchants through." 

"But the Submaripper is a very territorial dragon. The riders would be putting themselves in danger by doing so." I gasped, realizing Lilac was right. 

"Which means they're in trouble now!" Seeming to understand what I meant, Lilac starting to fly as fast as she could towards the Straits. In a matter of minutes, we were at the Straits, taking in everything that was going on. The riders were all either near or on a Berk fishing boat while a hunter ship sent boulders into the waters of the Straits, stirring up the water. "Get to the riders. Quick, Lilac!" I ordered hurriedly. Lilac did as she was told, diving towards the Berk ship. She landed carefully on the deck, myself dismounting as soon as she had. "What's going on?" 

"Hiccup's down there releasing a Submaripper. We're pulling him up now." Storm explained, pointing at the water below. Suddenly, a boulder hit the pulley, releasing the chain that was most likely had been pulling Hiccup back to the surface. 

"No!" I exclaimed as Toothless grabbed the chain, diving into the water after Hiccup. I turned towards Lilac. Once I received a nod of understanding from her, I ran to the edge of the ship and dove into the water after them despite everyone yelling at me. I swam deeper and deeper, swimming as fast as a Scauldron under the water's surface and holding my breath just as long as one. I glanced around, catching sight of Toothless frantically trying to get Hiccup out of a cauldron like thing and the Submaripper that was close by, freeing itself from the now loose dragon proof chains around its back legs and tail. Immediately, an idea came to my mind and I swam towards the Submaripper, my movement catching its attention. It growled at me making me hesitate before slowly swimming closer. I paused in front of its face holding up my hand in a way of showing I meant no harm before swimming towards the remaining chain on one of its back legs. I grabbed hold of the chain and easily untangled it, letting it fall to the ground. The Submaripper turned to face me, stretching its leg to see what I had done. 

"Thank you." it said in a deep bubbly voice. I nodded before turning towards Toothless and Hiccup in the cauldron contraption. The Submaripper swam up next to me and nudged me with his snout, grabbing my attention. "Hold on to me." I swam up to the top of his head and grabbed onto one of his frills, holding tight as he swam forward, grabbing the cauldron contraption in his mouth before swimming to the surface. I let go of his frill just before he broke the surface, watching from below as he brought Hiccup to the riders. When the Submaripper had gone below the waters surface again, I went above the water, gasping for air. 

"Melia! Thank Thor you're alright!" Storm exclaimed once she spotted me. I waved to her before diving back under water, swimming towards the waiting Submaripper before the both of us surfaced. 

"Thank you for saving, Hiccup." I remarked, taking a breath. 

"It was the least I could do after that human released me from my chains." the Submaripper replied. 

"My name is Melia by the way. What's yours?" I asked, petting his snout carefully. 

"Marine." I turned towards the ship as Toothless roared in thanks to Marine before turning back to watch him swim off. 

"Melia. Viggo." Storm called from the ship. I turned watching as Astrid, Snotlout, Storm, and the Twins took off after Viggo's ship on their dragons. 

"Lilac." I cried. Immediately, my purple marked Night Fury flew over to me and grabbed me by the shoulders plopping me down onto the deck of the riders' ship before landing. 

"Melia... When did..." 

"Not too long ago, Hiccup. It seems I got here just in time too." Hiccup nodded in thanks. I smiled in return before turning to watch Marine swim off. Somehow, I felt like this wouldn't be the last I'd see of him. 

<Foreshadowing for what's soon to come. I'm also very excited because the episode after "Dire Straits" is the one about the Midnight Sun. I have been planning with my friend on how Melia, Storm, and a couple of characters that aren't shown in this episode will be reacting to the sleep deprivation. Hope you enjoyed this chapter and I hope you enjoy the upcoming chapters>