Happier X Austin Porter

Austin's P.O.V

"Isn't that Y/N?" Nick brought his brows together as he examined the woman before him.

I let out a short breath of air.

"... everywhere I go, she's there." I mumbled as I spun around to see exactly what was going on behind me.

There she was.

Sitting along the bar enjoying her drink.

I knew exactly what she was drinking because, she never orders anything new when she goes out.

"Looks like she's following you bro." Zion snickered which only precipitated my head to shake in her defense.

"She's not like that...er- well, she wasn't at least."

"Maybe, you should talk to her. Im sure she'd love to hear from you." Edwin nudged me in my side playfully.

"I don't know..." I replied sheepishly.

"Aus, you guys broke up like 8 months ago, you can't possibly still be upset...right?" Brandon questioned genuinely.

"No, no. m'fine." I lied

Only, I wasn't actually.

Y/N had been my main priority for a series of 4 whole years.

And now, she's out here living her best life like everything we had never even happened.

"Just go say 'hi'. If she doesn't want to talk after that, then fine." Nick pats my shoulder while pushing me in her direction.

Before I knew it, I was standing about 5 feet away from her and she was too busy talking with the bartender to notice me.

The man was obviously flirting with her and it disgusted me, but she's a grown woman; If she wanted him to stop she would've told him.

I slowly walked towards the bar.

I figured that if I acted like I didn't see her at all and ordered a drink, she'd do the rest.

"Hey...can I order something?" I asked the bartender who only made a face that showed how annoyed he was.

"Yeah, what you want?"

"Anything's fine."

Y/N must've recognized my voice finally because, she looked up and sat her drink on the counter with wide eyes.

"Austin? Hey!" She stood to her feet and pulled me in for a hug.

I got a whiff of her perfume, which smelled like the sweet mixture of grenadine and sunshine.

I hugged her a little tighter than necessary but, I don't think she noticed.

"You cut your hair! You putz! why!?"

I smiled.

I'd forgotten that the last time she saw me, I still had a full head of locks.

"Dunno, I just cut it off."

She smiled.

" S'cute." She stated plainly before sitting back on the bar stool as my heart clenched in my chest at the compliment she'd just uttered.

"... thanks."

"How have you been?" She asked as her tongue swirled around her straw before she captured it between her lips and took a long sip.

"...good." I swallowed hard..

Seeing her give the straw so much tongue made me wonder if  she'd still taste the same if I kissed her.

I felt my breath hitch in my throat as I tried to answer her question, without passing clean out.

"... I've been... making music...and stuff."

"Yeah?"

"...mhm." I hummed.

It was hushed for a brief moment until, she shifted on her stool uncomfortably and broke the silence.

"Well, I got a promotion."

"... seriously?"

"Yeah, I've been gaining some experience...I kinda like it."

"That's- that's amazing...wow." I smiled.

"I'm so proud of- I mean... that's great." I re-phrased while scratching the back of my neck awkwardly.

"Austin it's okay to be happy for me. No one else seems to care."

I frowned.

"...What why?"

"Dunno...I guess something like this is considered normal." She laughs but, I knew something was bothering her.

"I mean sure but, you've worked hard for this y/n. You deserve this."

"...thanks." she replied as if what I'd just said meant nothing at all to her.

"You do believe that right?" I asked her genuinely.

"...what?"

"...that you deserve this?"

"... I mean, I-"

I stopped her.

My hands grasped her smaller ones.

"Y/N, there's not another woman in this bar who deserves that promotion as much as you do. I've seen you cry about not getting a better position and now, look at you! You have a higher rank and you can come in a bar at 10PM on a Tuesday because, you probably make your own hours now, I bet?"

"Yeah." She blushed while suddenly becoming fixated on her feet.

"See!"

Her eyes were still looking downward.

"Look at me." I mumbled.

As she finally gave me her full attention.

"You deserve this."

She stares at me with pure bliss before leaning forward and pressing her lips to mine.

I could hear the boys cheering and celebrating from across the room which only caused me to smile as I continued to savour
the lips of the woman that I loved more than anything in this world.