Chapter 21 - False Birthday

Mikes POV:
I woke up at 7:00 am. I'm fake sixteen today. It's my fake birthday. Great. Reluctantly, I got up from my bed and walked to my closet. I wore a 'Super Mario Bros' T-shirt, black jeans, and Nike shoes. I don't know why I don't tell my friends my real birthday, I should though, today, maybe.

I walked downstairs and my mom had eggos ready. I ate those fast so I can leave early for school.

I walked outside and everything is white. Hawkins is covered in a blanket of snow. It has to be at least eight inches of snow. I think I'll be walking to school rather than riding my bike. There is no clear path to ride my bike.

I look around and El isn't here. I start to walk over to her house to see if she is there. Just as I was about to knock, El opened the door.

"Mike!" She squealed.

"El!" I try to sound just as enthusiastic.

"Happy Birthday!" She gave me a hug that I gladly accepted.

"You remembered." I say, she kisses my cheek and hugs me again.

"You're sixteen already, I'm still fourteen." She looks down at her feet, looking sad.

"Hey, you're birthday is in two months." I try to make her feel better.

"You're right, but we should go to school now." I nod and I grab her hand and interlocking our fingers. It wouldn't stop snowing, it's still snowing hard. It will probably 1 foot of snow if It keeps snowing like this.

El's hand is really cold compared to my warm one. I let go of her hand and put it around her waist. She looks at me grinning from ear to ear.

I take off my beanie and sneakily put it on her head. My plan didn't work out so well. Right when I took it off, she looked at me.

"Want to wear it?" I ask her and she nods, we stop walking while she puts it on.

"Thank you, Mike." She kisses my cheek. Little things like that make me happy, just a kiss on the cheek and I'm cheerful.

"So, do you have a dress for the Snowball?" I ask her.

"I was actually wondering what you were going to wear, so I can match you." She looks up at me.

"Oh, well, I was going to be wearing something blue and-"

"That's all I need to know, I have a dress in mind already." She leans her head on my shoulder.

"Really, what does it look like?"

"It's a surprise." She giggles.

"Okay, well, I can't wait to see it."

"It's a really pretty dress, I can't wait for you to see it."

"You will only make the dress prettier, El." I say and her cheeks get more red.

"Aww, Mike, you're cheesy." She smirks and giggles.

"I'm cheesy!" I yell at the top of my lungs. El starts to laugh.

"Wow, we're already here?" She asks as we approach the school doors.

"Yeah, it's a short walk."

"Clearly." I open the door for her and I pretend to tip an imaginary hat.

"M'lady." I say as she walks in.

"Why, thank you." She plays along with my skit. We both stomp our feet on the carpet to get the snow off our shoes so we don't track it all around the school.

"Wait, Mike." She stopped me from opening my locker.

"What is it?" I ask her.

"If you are sixteen, then what are you doing in the ninth grade?" I knew she would ask this question sooner or later.

"It's because my mom homeschooled me one year and I didn't keep up with my work, so I ended up being held back one grade."

"Oh." I nod and she continues to open her locker. I open my locker too, we both put our backpacks in there. "So what do you want to do now?" She asks me while shutting her locker.

"Did you finish your homework?"

"Yes." She replied.

"Did you eat?"

"Yeah, my dad made me breakfast."

"Want to go outside and play in the snow?" She smiles and nods. We grabbed the gloves and hats from our lockers and ran outside.

I jumped into a huge pile of snow and El threw snow at me.

"Woo!!!" She yells, throwing snow up in the air. I'm still in the pile of snow laughing. I get up and I'm covered in snow. El starts to laugh, I throw snow at her without her knowing.

"Hey!" She threw like ten snowballs at me at once.

"What the heck! Where are those coming from?!" I yell and dive into a pile of snow for cover. I start to hear Will and Dustin yelling something. I sit up and they are attacking El with snowballs. She's laughing the whole time.

Should I help her? Yeah.

I grab a handful of snow and made it into a ball, I threw it at Dustin and he saw me. He stopped attacking El and started running over to me.

"Mike!!" He yells and tackles me. Next thing I know, Dustin is dumping snow on me.

"Happy Birthday, Mike!!" Will yelled and Dustin stopped dumping snow on me.

"My bad, sorry, buddy." Dustin stands up and helps me up.

"It's fine, Dusty." I smile and he smiles too.

"He's sixteen!" Lucas comes out of nowhere and yells that.

"Only three more of us need to turn sixteen!" Max yells and we all cheer. Only Will, El, and Dustin need to.

"Snowball fight!!" Lucas yells and we all grab some then start throwing it at each other.

"Happy Holidays!!" Will and El yell, they start to do the floss.

We all fall to the ground next to each other, we are all breathing hard. That was fun, a good way to start off my fake birthday.

The bell rang from inside.

"We have to go to class now, guys." I say to them and they all groan.

"Let's skip!" Dustin suggests.

"Yeah!" Will yells along with El.

"I guess we are skipping!" I say and they cheer.

"Let's go sledding!" Max yells. We decided on going sledding at my parents cabin.

I'm in love with Finn. Thank you for reading, please vote and comment! Stay tuned for the next chapter...