P R O L O G U E

Ruth walked up on the ring. As the only mage who could open a portal, she’d assure everybody’s hope would not go in waste. She took a deep sigh, then, chanted, “Aparir portale.” She could feel her energy being dragged into one spot. In no time, a blue magic circle appeared in front. The Zodiac Signs were sculpted on the magic circle, clearly equidistant from each other. Now, she could feel its warmth radiating, covering anyone close to it with a calming heat.

     Racchina held Taya and Madame Ruth’s hands, then hugged them while saying her farewell. She wanted to stay, but for the sake of her people and of Zoidion, she’d accept the journey they were about to do.

     Before Zyke and she situated themselves in front of the magic circle, Racchina took a last glance on the people of Zoidion. She had seen Narvya sending her a bitter smile. Somehow it hurt her, and she didn’t know why.

     “’China, let’s go,” Zyke demanded. It was low due to fatigue but she could sense its authority.

     She took a deep sigh and talked, “Let’s go,” then, they already passed through the portal, leaving a total silence in Zoidion . . . Or so they thought.

     Narvya, feeling the consciousness to still move, couldn’t understand why her time wasn’t frozen yet. Kung pagbabasihan ang kaniyang obserbasyon ay huminto na ang oras sa Zoidion. Nakakapagtaka at hindi siya kasali rito. “Prora . . .” Narvya sensed something. Bigla na lang siyang nakaramdam ng kaba nang marinig ang nakabibinging katahimikan. Ang matamlay na pag-ihip ng hangin ay nagdadala ng takot sa kaniyang dibdib. She demanded an answer from Prora. Ilang segundo niya ring hinintay ang magiging tugon nito ngunit nakatitig lang ito sa kaniya.

     “Narvya . . .” now, a familiar voice echoed. It took a second to see a man standing tall on the other end of the ring. It was Loki, moving, walking indolently towards her. She was about to speak when Loki gestured his hand up. In a blink of an eye, Narvya was already floating in the air, imprisoned within a circular transparent ball.

     “Loki. Ano’ng ibig sabihin nito!” Narvya was alarmed and confused. She pounded her way out but to no avail. “Loki, pakawalan mo ‘ko,” she kept on talking ngunit nakatingin lang ito, kasama si Prora, sa kaniya. In no time, nasa harapan na rin niya ang former Bearers. They watched her determination to escape, ang kagustuhan niyang makakuha ng tamang sagot sa kung bakit siya nakakulong ngayon. But no one spoke. No one dared.

     A simultaneous groan was heard next to her. At gayoon na lamang ang pagkagulat niya nang makita si Taya at Ruth na nakakulong na rin sa dalawa pang circular transparent balls. They were confused, needed the same answer she wanted.

     Prora snapped her fingers, and all of a sudden, the new Bearers were cast out of Prora’s power. Nang makita nila ang sitwasyon ng tatlo’y ganoon na lamang ang pagtataka ng mga ito.

     “Ano’ng nangyayari? Ba‘t sila nakakulong?” Xayl’ asked but didn’t get a response. Instead, before any word could be spared, Loki imprisoned them at once. And then, with the use of his power, the circular transparent balls they were in produced a high-pitched sound enough to put them all off to sleep.

    Prora sighed slowly. Loki had heard it, ignored it. it could not hinder the orders he was about to command. “Get them to the castle,” Loki ordered, unfaced. “Put them to prison and tell the palace guards to beat them . . .” he trailed off, not sure of the exact next words but spelled, “till death.”

     “For sure,” Prora assured before they escorted the guards to the Castle of Leo.

* * *