}•09

◎⊙◎

Sahara Dessert
Libya, Afrika

A group of people headed south through the raging heat of the sun and deserted place on earth. Chatting with their native language as they rode with their camels through the sandy ground, they felt something strange incoming.

     “Tawaquf,” the leader said stop. He waved his hand in the air to cease the noise his companions were making. As he investigated, looking closely and hearing earnestly, his fear went to a hike. “Bieawn allah!” he whispered, calling to their god to help them. “Easifat ramliat,” he warned, pleading everyone to take cover.

     The largest sandstorm of all time hustled towards the group’s direction. And without a second, covered their chances of surviving. . . .

     In the meantime, tens of sandstorms had built up on every part of the dessert.

Ariesa had been feeling her head aching as she was about to claiming back her consciousness again. She could hear the pain in her neck running through her head. In a few more seconds she’d remember everything before she passed out.

     “Nagigising na siya.” She could her Racchina, if she was not mistaken, said. Now, she’s afraid to open up her eyes. Would she have to play unconscious for a while and scout what might happen next? Nah! It was too late. She’s sure her body had already given the strangers signs that she’s already awake. What now, she’d have to face them.

     Ariesa felt her eyelids moved. She saw them in front, carefully staring at her inability to turn the table on her side. In no time, she realized she was being tied in a chair. The vines which seemed to come out from nowhere had alarmed her system. Hindi niya malaman kung paano nakakuha ng vines pangtali ang mga estranghero. Saan nila ito kinuha? Alam naman niyang nasa Upperview Village siya, na isang environmental village ang tinitirhan niya pero kailangan pa ba talaga nilang kumuha ng vines upang itali siya? If she were them she would have used anything from their house that could prove capable of restricting her.

     “Tulong!” she screamed. She knew she’s in danger. She would have to save herself by screaming for help, she guessed. But the vines suddenly moved, tightening its grip around her. “What the!” Ariesa gasped, her eyes widening. Hindi siya makapaniwala sa nakikita niya kaya mas lalo pa siyang nagsisigaw habang unti-unti siyang niyayakap nang mahigpit ng mga baging.

     “Aqua!” she called, seeing her sister beside her in the same situation. But Aqua wouldn’t wake. She felt her cheeks heating in fear. She thought she might cry. “Tulong! Aling Nina! Mang Gorio!” she pleaded for their attention ngunit tila wala siyang nakukuhang sagot. “Pakawalan niyo ‘ko. Pakawalan niyo ‘ko!” Ariesa commanded as the strangers watched her. “Pakawalan niyo ‘ko, sabi!”

     “Shut up!” Ariesa shut up. Panted. Sweating. She looked at Zyke whose face, by now, was painted with irritation. “Ang ingaw mo,” Zyke iterated.

     “Ariesa,” Racchina talked. “Hindi kami nandito para saktan ka. Nandito kami para humingi ng tulong mula sa ‘yo.”

     “You have to open this.” Zyke showed the necklace.

     In her state of not knowing what the strangers were talking about, she said, “Hindi ako mikaniko para buksan ‘yan! Hindi rin ako ang gumawa ng kuwentas na ‘yan! Pa’no ko bubuksan ‘yan!” She tried to free herself from the vines to no avail. “Mga baliw kayo!” she hollered. “Aqua. Ano ba, Aqua, gumising ka,” now, whispered.