}•37

◎⊙◎

The war had ended. The people of Zoidion were rejoicing. Finally, the prophecy they had been evading could already be written as part of their history. Nothing to fear anymore. Darkness was already defeated. Yet, Loki still managed to draw a humorless expression. As he watched the portal becoming gold, he listened carefully to the rejoicing of the people. Everyone just came over at the Great Circle after the Anointed’s plea for support.

     He sighed roughly. Zyke must have fulfilled his mission. The Anointed defeated the offspring of abomination. Yet, he could not expunge the fact that he might have failed his other goal―to kill Racchina. Well, Loki would just have to wait Zyke’s comeback to Zoidion and see if the Rare Blood was still with him.

     “I have already summoned a couple of mages to escort Ruth, and Narvya to be here.”

     Loki peered over his shoulder. It was Prora. He turned back to face her just when Zyke came out from the portal. When he turned to face the portal, he saw Racchina behind her. It was then, he dwelled with anger and disgust. Zyke failed his mission. Racchina was still alive.

     Loki watched his son in the eyes. He’d assure Zyke would be able to decipher his expression, of how disgusted he was to have found Racchina with him. Now, the Zoidians cheered for their comeback, and he wasn’t happy for it. Not for Racchina.

     Zyke held Racchina’s hand, led her on the ring where he had seen his father’s face with wrath. He knew he failed him but he was not regretful. Racchina didn’t deserve to die.

     “Racchina!”

     Racchina could hear her name being repeated, being cheered. She was aware that everyone was in the Great Circle and the sight of other people with different Signs cheering for her and Zyke, was priceless. There was no reason to draw a smile. She was proud of herself. She was proud of her region. “Hail to the Capricorn Region!” Racchina lifted a fist.

     “Hail, O, Capricorn Region!” yelled the Capricorns.

     Racchina continued, “Hail to Zoidion!” She didn’t fail to get a response.

     “People of Zodion, listen,” Loki interrupted. “Listen!” He was given silence. “We sent Raccchina, and Zyke into the Rare World to find the Anointed who could defeat a monster we had never seen.” The people listened. Now, the new Bearers who were able to escape from the mages under Loki’s hand, blended well with the crowd. “Their mission was fully completed. Now that they’re back, you’re offering great merit for someone who didn’t deserve it.” He hardened his voice, “Let’s not forget that Racchina . . . is a Rare Blood!” There were chatters. “According to the law . . . anyone with a rare blood must be put to death!”

     “Hindi kami papayag!” Suwan suddenly blurted, led herself into the ring. She extended her hand forward to grow a magic circle for possible defense or attack. Ilang sandali lang at tuluyan na ring umalma ang ibang Bearers, showing their magic circles as well. They could not let Loki put up a crime on Racchina who saved both Zoidion and Rare World. That would be an example of injustice. Oo, totoong Rare Blood si Racchina ngunit hindi ba sapat ang ginawa nitong kabayanihan upang sagipin siya mula sa pataw?

     The mages of Leo Region were alarmed. Agad din nilang inilabas ang kanilang magic circles upang protektahan si Loki at sino pa mang former Bearers na nasa loob ng ring.

     Loki cursed, hard, loud enough for the crowd to hear. By now, his plan was working. Nakawala man ang Bearers ay bumalik naman ito. At ang maganda pa’y maaari niyang maisawalat ang pagtatakip ng mga Bearer sa sikreto ni Racchina.

     “Listen, Zodians!” he hollered. “These Bearers kept Racchina’s secret without the intention of voicing her crime, not to mentio their unpermitted escape from the dungeon. They, also, must be punished!” There were mutters and chatters among the crowd.

     “How sure you are that Racchina is a Rare Blood,” Zyke moved backward, shooed Racchina behind him.

     Loki looked at his son. He was thinking Zyke would rebell against him. “Zyke,” he called him, surprise. “Whose side are you on?”

     “Neither.” he quickly retorted. “Tell me how sure you are, Racchina is a Rare Blood.” Then, Zyke put up his magic circle for defense or attack.

     Loki chuckled. He was now certain Zyke was on Racchina’s side. Hindi niya inakalang mangyayari ito. Hindi niya alam kung ano’ng pinakain ni Racchina sa anak. Nevertheless, Loki was certain he would win. He turned his body towards the crowd, spoke, “When we defeated Ordon, Racchina surprisingly summoned Aries, and Cancer. Isn’t that a hardcore evidence of her true identity?” He paused. “Think about it, Zoidion!” he meant the crowd.

     “I beg to disagree!” Adiya entered. “You’ve never considered her being a Renewed Blood.” She explained, “Maaaring may kakayahan siyang tawagin si Aries, at Cancer sapagkat ang mga magulang niya’y parehong Aries, o Cancer. At na ang isa sa kanila ay isang Renewed Blood na may dugong isa sa mga nabanggit. Wouldn’t these explain why?”

     Loki had pondered about this. But he was sure Racchina was a Rare Blood. “But how would explain, young Aquarius about her parents’ names not listed on either regions of Zoidion?” The crowd listened. “Could someone explained this to me?!” Loki breathed roughly. He’d never thought he’d have to explain further. But he was ready. “Walang kahit anong ebidensiyang naitala patungkol sa kung sino ang mga magulang ni Racchina! Hindi ba iyon sapat upang paghinalaan siya?!” He looked at Racchina. “Someone must have casted a forbidden spell to hide her identity. And I will prove this to you, Zoidion.”

     Ruth came in to the scene. Loki grabbed her hand and pushed her downward. Ruth lost her balance caused her to stumble on the floor.

     “Madame Ruth!” Racchina exclaimed. They were about to hug each other when Loki released his magic circle, threatening Ruth’s life. Racchina pulled back.

     “Cast out the forbidden spell from Racchina, so every one would know who she is,” Loki ordered.

     “Racchina . . .” Ruth whispered. She was happy to see her again but it couldn’t be seen on her face. Mas nanaig sa kaniya ang takot at alala sa tinuring na niyang anak. Now, she was ordered to cast the forbidden spell Loki was saying. She wouldn’t lie. Totoo ang sinasabi nitong forbidden spell. Someone from the past surrended a life for a spell only to assure Racchina’s safety. And today, would she really give up her life to undo it?

     “Do it, Ruth!” Loki yelled.

     A forbidden spell begot life, and removing it would take off a life as well. She ready herself. Of course she didn’t want to do it. She didn’t want anyone to know what had happened in the past. So, she decided not to strip off the forbidden spell, rather cast another. Oo. Binabalak niyang ibahin ang memorya ng lahat ng nakatira sa Zoidion. Itatanim niya sa mga isip nito na anak niya si Racchina, na isa itong Pure Blood at hindi Rare Blood gaya ng ibinibintang ni Loki.

     She situated her hand on Racchina’s forehead. “Mezhainari . . . Es pro zazar . . .” she started. A dwarf magic circle appeared, warming Racchina’s face. She was about to continue, when someone interrupted.

     “Don’t do it, Ruth!”

     Everyone realized it was Narvya, ready to tell nothing but the truth.

* * *