}•10

◎⊙◎

Racchina didn’t want Aqua to be held captive but the need to save Zoidion and its people weighed more than what would Ariesa feel. Kailangan nilang gumawa ng paraan upang mapapayag si Ariesa para sa kapakanan ng lahat.

     As soon Ariesa woke up, Aqua already started whining loud. “Ate. Ate, tulungan mo ‘ko!” Racchina assured she wouldn’t be able to escape. Pinaluputan niya ito ng mga baging. And to make their show realistic, she grew a poisonous eating plant, tiny enough to put Aqua off if she wanted to. As the monstrous plant started to bellow and gave an indistinct sounds, Ariesa’s fear came back.

     “Pakawalan niyo siya. Huwag si Aqua!” Ariesa pleaded and Racchina heard it but she wanted to listen more from her.

     “Have I ever told you that in one bite, your sister would lose her consciousness, fall into deep slumber?”—Zyke threatened na mas lalong nagpalubha ng takot niya—“That the poison will slowly eat every piece of flesh in her body and that—”

     “What do you want!” she asked, panicking as the monstrous vine inched closer to Aqua’s neck. As her sister was crying, Ariesa felt the need to supply the strangers’ demand. “Payag na ‘ko,” she finally brought up. It took a few seconds for everyone to process what she had said. “Payag na ‘ko. I will open the gate. Basta pakawalan niyo lang si Aqua.” Ariesa didn’t know how fool she was when she was saying I will open the gate. She wanted to laugh at herself.

     “Good,” Zyke exclaimed.

     But Racchina quickly willed the monstrous vine—bitten Aqua’s neck. In no time, Aqua lost her consciousness.

     Ariesa screamed her sister’s name in shock. Was she cheated? She couldn’t decipher why Racchina made it though she had agreed to open the gate of whatsoever. “Ano’ng ginawa mo!” she exclaimed, crying this time.

     “Oh!” Racchina looked at Aqua, acting like she didn’t know what happened. And when she acted as if she already realized, she said, “She’s fine. Huwag kang mag-alala. Hindi lang naman siya magigising hangga’t hindi mo natatapos ang misyon mo.”

     Napakuyom ng mga kamay si Ariesa sa galit and it pained Racchina to see a Rare Blood doing it. Kahit siya’y ayaw din naman ang ginagawa pero para sa kaligtasan ng mga mundo, kailangan niyang gumawa ng ikagagalit ng iba.

     “Tama na,” Aries cut in. He sighed, then motioned Zyke to take Aqua to her room. Agad namang binuhat ni Zyke ang bata.

     “Aqua—”

     “Ariesa,” Aries interrupted her from following after her sister. In his smooth and suiting voice, Aries said, “Pasensiya na.” He stared at her, wanting to give his look of understanding and concern. As she wiped the tears that flew down her checks, he sensed the need to explain more. “Don’t worry about Aqua. The poision won’t harm her. That was made to assure she gets the nutrients she needs while on a deep sleep.”

     “Kaialan siya magigising?” she asked, disappointed of how she was fooled.

     Racchina answered for him, “Hangga’t hindi natin nahahanap ang lahat ng Celestials, hindi magigising ang kapatid mo.”

     Ariesa sighed. Accommodating all the words she thought were lies.

     In a minute, Zyke came back.

     “Kailangan mo’ng maniwala sa amin, Ariesa,” Racchina stated.

     “Gate of the Compass . . .” Zyke cut the silence, extending his hand forward with the key. “I open thee . . .” Zyke waited for the magic circle to appear but he failed. He sighed and then withdrawed his hand. “You see,” he talked to Ariesa. “The gate won’t open. Basically, it isn’t hard to open a silver gate for anyone living in Zoidion.” He removed the key from its lace buy pulling it incautiosly. “But since it’s already attached to you, only you can open it.” He threw the key to her. “You try.”

     Quivering as if being soaked in a cold water, Ariesa tried to syllabicate what was she heard from Zyke. But she failed.

     “Make it louder,” Zyke demanded.

     “I open thee!” Ariesa, out of fear followed what he said but she couldn’t do it.

     “Extend your hand in front. Chant like you’re in command. Make your voice louder!” Zyke was already irritated. Hindi na siya makapaghintay na magbukas ang Compass.

     Ariesa did it for many times but to no avail. With that, Racchina felt guilty and realized how could a traumatized person like Ariesa learn to summon a Celestial? Siguradong mahirap ‘yon sa parte nito. So she inserted herself and put the summoner into sleep.

     “Ano’ng ginawa mo?” Zyke’s brows met in irritation.

     “Kailangan niya ng pahinga, Zyke.” He sighed. “Sa lahat ng nangyari sa gabing ito’y mahihirapan siyang makapag-focus.”

     Zyke, in respond, walked out the door. Agad namang tumayo ang inis ni Racchina sa ginawang iyon ng kasama.

     “I’ll take her to her room,” Aries cut the silence.

     Napabuntong-hininga na rin siya nang tuluyan nang mawala sa paningin niya ang mga kasama. Ilang saglit lang ay naramdaman na niya ang naipong pagod sa katawan. It had been a long day for them. Marami siyang—kasama si Zyke—pinagdaanan bago mahanap ang nagmamay-ari ng Pyxis Key. And it wasn’t that easy to convince Ariesa to open the key.

     Napaupo siya nang biglaan sa sofa at pinakiramdaman ang pagod sa buo niyang katawan. Unti-unti nitong nilamon ang kaniyang utak. Kaya sa isang iglap lamang ay tuluyan na siyang nawalan ng malay.

“Calling the passengers of A34 flight to the Phillippines, you may now go on board.”

     A pretty lass heard her cellphone rang as she finished washing her hand. She was alone inside the comfort room which seemed to be uncanny for a known reknown airport in Jhapan. “Mushi mushi,” she answered, and heard her mother’s rant about going on board. “Patapos na ‘ko, Ma.” She dried her hand. “Oo. Sige.” And when she ended the call, he saw boy in front. “What are you doing here, little kiddo?” she asked, a little shocked on its sudden appearance. “You must have gone to the wrong comfort room. Should I escort you out?”

     He didn’t respond, rather looked at her with resentment. Her brows met. She thought he might have not understood what she’s saying. So she started speaking using the country’s language but acquired the same response from the kid.

     She hissed in irritation. Then, held the boy’s hand. To her surprise, the boy gripped her hand back, so tight she thought her hand was going to break. In no time, she felt a great deep sensation running into her veins as the boy’s eyes came reddish and fiery. She wanted to scream but her mind restricted her from doing so.

     The boy fell. Dead. And in a blink of an eye, the monster had already taken her body.

     The monster walked out of the comfort room, walked straight to its goal.

     “What took you so long, Danira?” the lass’ mother asked but didn’t get a reply.

     The young woman walked passed her mother. Went on board. And waited for her arrival near Holland.

* * *