1. The Meet

Every girl dreams of the perfect wedding with the love of their life. I did too but then I realised that I could get my dream wedding which would basically be a four-day festival with loads of gold, music, dance, guests and my loved ones. But what about a marriage? a husband who I actually love and not a total stranger my parents arranged me with? I understand that eventually I could get to know him but I do deserve a choice. Right?

My family has always been loaded, there is no question of not being able to afford the wedding in a way I wanted. But with who I wanted? They never thought about that. Like a typical Indian businessman, my father planned to wed me to his business partner's son, you know, to grow the business and earn profit.

I've had a fair share of men in my life. I'm 24 and one of those people who don't give a damn about marriages. Well, I did at some point in life but after dating a few men, I changed my views on marriage. Never in the 10 years of my dating years have I thought about marrying, unlike teenage girls who think their boyfriend will marry them in the future. And now, look at me getting married to a person who I don't even know properly. Life fucks you in so many ways but I never thought it would get me like this.

Now this guy who I was supposed to get married to, was going to arrive at our house in about 10 minutes and here I was, sitting on my bed, wearing a red saree, makeup which feels like its a hundred layers deep, huge gold earrings and a necklace; thinking about the ways that I could escape this palace like mansion with guards on each exit. I know it's a bit too much but my dad loves to boast.

I got up and walked towards the balcony of my room. From a distance, I saw the huge gates open and 2 black BMWs moved towards the front doors of our house. I sigh, thinking that I lost any opportunity of running away.

"Naina!" I heard a voice call from behind me. Sanjana, my best friend since forever, was standing near my dresser.

"Hey." I said, trying to sound as normal as possible but Sanjana being Sanjana and my best friend, caught the tension in my voice.

"Oh God! You're stressing over it again. I mean, I know it's difficult for you and I know it's not what you want but stressing over it wouldn't change a thing and you know that. It will work out in the end, I promise. And it's not like you're getting married right away. You still have time to plot an escape." She said with a smile and engulfed me in a tight hug.

"I know Sanj, I love you." I said, hugging her tighter.

"I love you too. Oh! And by the way, the guy is really hot. I just saw them enter the house." She pulled away and winked at me.

.

I carefully walked downstairs, trying to handle my saree and heels and not to tumble and embarrass myself. Sanjana was by my side. I turned my head towards her and she nodded her head to reassure me, a look that said "it will be fine."

I reach the bottom of the stairs and my father smiled at me.

"There she is!" My mother exclaimed. She stood up and came near me. "Our beautiful daughter!" She chirped and I controlled the urge to roll my eyes. I smiled shyly and sat beside my father and my mother sat down on my other side.

I lifted my eyes up and looked at the two guys sitting in front of me. Which one is he? I looked at my mother with confusion in my eyes.

"This is Ashwin." She pointed towards the guy in a crisp, navy blue suit, his black eyes looking at me, then I noticed he is smiling so I smiled back at him. "And this is Shiv, Ashwin's friend." She pointed towards the guy sitting beside Ashwin. He was wearing a black dress shirt and pants, his hazel eyes shining, and his perfect lips turned in a small smile. He was hotter than Ashwin, who I was supposed to get married to. Probably a thought I shouldn't be having but if I had the choice, I'd go for him instead of Ashwin.