26. Best Friend

I went to my apartment first thing after leaving the airport. I needed to check on Sanjana. I wasn't able to push out the thought that the police was after her too.

"Who is it?" I heard her scared voice as I opened the front door.

"Hey! It's me. Where are you?"

She got up from behind the kitchen counter, still a bit scared. My face dropped at the sight.

"Oh my God! Are you okay?" I asked her and engulfed her in a tight hug.

She started crying as soon as I hugged her.

"They are looking for me." she said in between sobs.

"I know, I am sorry. Don't worry, I am here."

"I hate him. I hate that I fell for him." she said again.

"Hey, calm down Sanj. You need to tell everything to me. What happened?" I asked.

"I-I was with him and he killed a man in the club and someone captured it in a video and- and I am in it. They are looking for me." she stuttered and gasped for breaths.

"Shh... It will be fine." I comforted her.

"He came here but I sent him away."

"You said you fell for him. What do you mean?" I asked her.

"I loved him, Naina. He was very nice to me and he actually cared for me. He told me he loved me too. I was happy with him."

"Oh. Do you want to live here? I don't think it is safe for you to be here." they could find her as soon as they know her name

"I don't want to be alone." she sobbed.

"I am so sorry I left you alone here. Can you sit here? I need to make a call." I asked her and she nodded slightly.

"Faiza? Hey, It is Naina."

"Hey, how are you?" she asked happily

"I am fine but I need a favour."

"Yes, anything. What is it?" she sounded concerned.

"Do you still have your apartment that you bought after you moved out?"

"Yes, I still own it. Why are you asking?"

"Sanjana needs a place to stay for a while. Can you meet us at the old apartment? I will explain everything." I told her.

"Okay. I will be there in 10 minutes."

.

I heard a knock on the front door after a few minutes.

"Hey, what's wrong?" she asked as she entered.

"Come on in." I locked the door.

I called for Sanjana and she came out of her room still looking very scared.

"Oh my God! What happened to you!?" Faiza said and Sanjana ran to hug her as soon as she realised it was her.

Faiza looked at me after they pulled away and her eyes widened with realisation that I was pregnant.

"I know. But we have a bigger problem now." I said before she questioned me.

"Okay, what is it?"

I explained everything to her.

"She can stay at my old place for a while, the girl who I rented it out to just moved out."

"But she doesn't want to be alone and I really don't think she should be alone right now." I whispered so that Sanjana didn't hear us.

"What should we do then? I can't live there, I am married and I have a baby."