17. People Change

I stepped out of the room wearing only the black hoodie which reached till my mid-thigh. The grey joggers were too loose for my small body so I decided not to wear them. I had the hoodie to cover enough of my body. 

I made my way to the kitchen. I saw two plates ready on the table but Shiv was nowhere to be seen. 

"Fine. I will be back soon. I don't know when." I heard him speak.

I walked towards the living room and found him sitting on the sofa with his phone pressed to his ear. He hung up and rested his head in his palms.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, massaging his shoulders from behind the sofa as he leaned back.

"Yes, everything is fine. I just have to be back at work soon." He told me.

"When do you have to leave?"

"I haven't decided yet. I don't want to leave you alone." He said. He grabbed my hands and pulled me around the sofa to face him.

"It is fine. I will be okay. I have Sanjana." I said, sounding just a little sad.

"No it is not okay. I want to be here through every part of it. The morning sickness, weird food cravings, mood swings, everything." He said with a light chuckle.

"But what about your work? That is important too." I said.

"I know. I guess I will have to be back and forth." 

"There is no way you are doing that. Airplane tickets cost a fortune and the constant travel and jet lags will get you sick." I told him. I wasn't going to let him do that to himself just for me to see him frequently.

He pulled me on his lap and I draped my hands around his neck and his strong arms snaked around my waist like they usually did. I put my hands in his hair and slightly massaged. He relaxed a bit when I did so.

"Then what can I do? I don't want to be absent through most of it." He whined.

"What you can do right now is reheat our food because I think it must be cold by now." I told him, changing the topic. I didn't want to stress him out by discussing about all of this while he was already stressed about work.

"That will be better." He said and lifted me up. He put my hand in his and pulled me towards the kitchen. He made me sit on the table while he went to reheat the food.

"Wait." I said and he stopped. "You go and freshen up and change your clothes, I will heat up the food. I can do that much at least." I said and pushed him out of the kitchen.

"Okay. I will be right back." 

I emptied the plates that he set up back into the bowls and put the bowls in the microwave oven. I set the timer and waited while I drank a glass of water. When I heard the three beeps, I pulled open the small door and pulled out the bowls of food. Just when I was filling up the plates, I heard his door open and shut close. He walked in the dining area and we sat down.

Once we had finished out food, we were sitting on the couches in his living room watching a random bollywood movie on Netflix. My eyes felt heavy so I leaned on his shoulder and closed my eyes, slipping into a deep slumber.

.

The next morning, I woke up feeling marvellous. I never slept this comfortable. My back didn't hurt and my neck was in perfect condition. I realised I was in his bed, with a soft pillow under my head and soft blankets covering my body, shielding me from the cold. This mattress did wonders for my body. Shiv must be in pain after sleeping on the mattresses in our apartment if he was used to sleeping on these.