25. Le Plus Mignon

"Will you marry me Naina?"

I gasped and my eyes widened.

"What the hell are you doing?" I whispered. 

I felt all the eyes on us. I didn't want all the attention specially for what I was going to do.

"I am baking a cake." he said and rolled his eyes. "What do you think I am doing?"

"Why?"

"Because I love you and I want to marry you. This will solve all the problems, you will not have to marry him if you marry me first."

That was not right. Getting married to Shiv would have been the easier option but not the right one. I knew him for only half a year. There was no way I was getting married to him so soon. Also, everyone would think we got married only because I got pregnant. I wanted to show everyone that we got married because of love, not because of the babies.

"Listen, I don't want to create a scene. I am saying yes now but It is definitely not a yes. What the hell were you thinking?" I whispered.

"But-"

"No buts. We will talk about this later."

I said and started acting like I was surprised. I put both my hands on my mouth and acted as if I was crying. I nodded my head as a yes and he took the ring out of the box and placed it on my finger.

The restaurant bursted with claps and everyone looked at us with adoration. I smiled at them and looked over at Shiv. He looked hurt. I needed to explain everything to him, I could not bear the fact that I hurt him.

Everything went back to normal in a few minutes and we continued our conversation.

"Why did you do that?"

"Because I genuinely want to be married to you. The situation was just an excuse." he explained.

"I am really sorry but it is too soon. I don't want people to think that we got married only because I was pregnant. I know half the people here think that now." I moved my eyes around the restaurant.

"I am sorry. It just seemed the right thing to do."

"I will be. But not now, maybe in a few years. I don't care about my reputation. I do care about yours and my parents'. I don't think many people in India will be proud of us. It is the easiest thing to do right now, but you know, easy things are not always the right things to do."

"You are right. I was just thinking about the idea of us being a family. You, the kids and me."

"I want a family too, Shiv. But I want everyone to be in it. My parents, your mom, everyone. And that will not be possible if we choose the easy path and get married." I explained.

"I understand. We will get married whenever you are ready."

"I love you so much. I am so sorry." I said, holding his hand.

"I love you more. And please don't be sorry, I respect your decision." he said. "But we still have to go to my mom's house for dinner tonight."

"And you didn't tell me?"

"Yeah, I went there this morning to get the ring and she ordered me to bring you for dinner." he  said and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Is is hers?"

"No, my grandma's. She gave it to mom before she died."

"Oh. it is beautiful." I said, looking at the bright ruby stone cut in an oval shape in the middle with multiple rounds of diamonds around it. The base was white gold which went with the white diamonds.